I Forge Iron

question about new old vise, maybe a tongue vise?

Farmall

Came across this neat vise and it had to come home with me.  It's about 14 inches high, jaws around 3-3/4 inches in width.  Has two pins on the top part of the mount and the clamp is around 6-1/4 inches wide when fully open, and about 4-1/2 inches closed.  That's what makes me think it might be a tongue vise.  Anybody seen one like it before?  Only marks are "AA" (probably the owner, maybe the maker or both) on a number of places on the vise.  Just hoping someone can provide some insight on it and what its original design/use  was.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.1685180306_viseoverallwithtapemeasure.jpg.59227dbfaccfc701df99a0dbd563ec41.jpg

vise clamp closed better.jpg

vise clamp open.jpg

vise jaw pins.jpg

Vise jaw width.jpg

Does it hold  your tongue securely enough to file? :rolleyes: Heh heh, heh. It looks like a wagon tongue vise to me and a good score.

It sure would've come home with me and Deb could've yelled.

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought it might be, but was sure as I hadn't seen this type of mount before.  I have another, but it looks like this one(not mine, just a photo I found on the web).  I have seen probably 8-10 like in the picture, but never seen one like I got with the clamp and pins.

ANTIQUE BLACKSMITHS WAGON Tongue Vise 3 3/4 Jaws 1800's - $198.00 ...

Well, I also have one that looks like that, but it's much smaller than the one I just got.  It's only about 6-7 inches high, whereas this one is around 14 and is definitely a much more substantial vise.  I was thinking this is a wagon tongue vise because of the limitations on the clamp.  Whatever it clamps to has to be at least 4 inches thick and can be as much as 6 inches. My new vise bears a lot of resemblance to a Brooks leg vise I have because of the vise hinge pin and the octagonal  supports

I am wondering if those 2 pegs extending from the top of the mounting plate may be a clue to its use.  If they extend into holes in the wagon tongue they would make for a very solid mount.

REALLY a nice vise in any case!

Moosetrot