I Forge Iron

small kitchen knife

Awrksmokey

I am definitely not a much of a bladesmith, but recently I forged out this small kitchen knife for my 500 follower giveaway on instagram. It is coilspring steel and a desert ironwood handle. I hollow ground it on a 4 inch wheel. At the thickest point, it's 1/8th inch thick. I think I should've forged it down a bit thinner. Anyway. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out! Do you guys have critique or something you think i could've done better? Here are the in progress and finished pictures:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.21.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.21.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.21.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.19.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.19.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.19.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 6.21.36 PM.png

My only thing is, I'm not a fan of single rivet half tangs (especially on larger knives) my tangs are always full tangs with at least two rivets. Other than that a nice knife, which is small enough that the handle shouldn't break.

My first knife had a 10 inch blade (butcher style) and a half hidden tang with one rivet and epoxy. The last time I used it cutting some rather tough roast, I was pushing down with my left hand near the point and rocking the handle down. The handle broke just behind the tang and I wound up with the point sticking in my left hand. It was a lot of years ago and I reforged it with a full tang & three rivets. With this memory, I wonder what ever became of that knife, probably borrowed by my brother who was notorious for never returning anything.

Now I'm thinking about what constellations would work where some pins are through pins and others are only in the slab on one side to allow you to have two different constellations one on each side...you can inlay a bit of black mother of pearl for the coal sack nebula too...

I'd have written them a check for 10 cents just so they have to deal with keeping track of the positive balance.

You guys have me thinking about the starry/constellation mosaic theme... ...it's dangerous to get me thinking.

To the OP, I think it is a nice honest knife.  I would have taken the grind up higher for a kitchen knife, and gone to a finer grit on the "bevels", but that is only my preference.  

Worse, some just HAVE TO cut you a check for the overage, at least notify you. $0.01 might be enough to cause the really . . . retentive types to have to issue a refund and the bank will charge to process the transactions. Penny wise, dollar foolish is so easy to avenge yourself on. 

Frosty The Lucky.