I Forge Iron

New here, from the PNW

M.G.

Hey all.. I missed this section the other day when I registered for the forum.  So I figured I should stop in and introduce myself. 

My name is Matthew, I live in the Pacific NW of the USA. You can usually find me somewhere between the mountains and the sea.  Closer to Portland Oregon these days.

I am a tattooer by trade, but making things with my hands has always been my passion.  Weather it is fine art functional art or just functional tooling, im into it. 

Over the years I studied precision manufacturing at trade school for tool and die making, CAD for parts and tooling, CNC programming and machine setup and operation, and QC. 

I have some, but very limited welding experience. In mig tig and arc.

I then shifted my focus more to the visual arts side of things. And sought out an apprenticeship in the tattoo industry. Which I have been deeply committed to as a career for the past 17 years. 

I spent a few years working in a glass blowing studio, blowing borosilicate glass.

Building surfboards has also been a passion of my over the past 5 years. Working g in PU foam, and hollow wooden construction, polyester and epoxy resins for fiberglass and carbonfiber.

Which brings us to this point in time, where I find myself deeply intrigued by moving molten metal to create. 

Over the last couple weeks I have been working to put together the materials and tools I will need to get started. Hopefully in the next week or so I will have all I need to put together a solid fule forge, nothing fancy JABOD. I will be trying to document the process and throw it in the forums for fun.

Over the last few days I have made a few threads here.  And have gotten some really helpful and reassuring feedback.  I really appreciate the input from you guys. And I hope to someday be able to return the favor.   

And just as a bit more of an introduction I will drop a few photos of some of the projects I have done in the past, not smithing related... I will post a couple oil paintings, and wood burnings, and other artworks as well as a couple of the more industrial art type work.. so I hope the MODs don't crack down on me too hard. Haha.

20200520_084856.jpg

IMG_20191220_163014_439.jpg

Screenshot_20200520-093431_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200520-093439_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200520-093423_Instagram.jpg

IMG_20170806_190440_824.jpg

IMG_20190310_155751_511.jpg

IMG_20180207_124131_208.jpg

20200520_092720_20200520094343695.jpg

Dear M.G.,

Very nice work in multiple media.  Given your level of creativity I hope to see some cool ironwork in the future.  Is the ink on yourself or is it work you have done on others and is part of your portfolio?  I particularly like the last board.  Welcome to IFI.  It is a good community here and there are lots of resources.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

@George N. M. thank you! I'm excited to get to hammering very soon. 

Thle tattoo work pictured, is work that I have done. 

If you care to, my Instagram has a plethora of work that I have done in various mediums. Be warned, it is mostly my tattoo work. Being my profession, its what I do the most of.... well until the government shut us down, due to the lockdown regulations. 

Any way, my Instagram handle is @alteregotattoo

I'm happy for anyone to take a peek at it.

Dear M.G.,

I'll see if I can access it.  I don't have any ink myself but I admire good work in any medium.  I don't have any ink because I have too short an attention span.  I'm tired of the calendar picture by the end of the month and a tat is pretty much forever.  Also, I have seen a LOT of bad ink and feel sorry for the people who have run afoul of bad/inexperienced/amateur tattoo artists.  So, a tattoo that is beautiful and good art is something I can appreciate.

"Vy hammer and hand all arts do stand."