I Forge Iron

On the bright side of this history, I found out that a friend of my wife has three anvils, all three are AV (Aço Villares a Brazilian steel company that was acquired by Gerdau). One of them is about 30kg and the other two way above 150Kg. Possibly 200kg.

He invited me over today and I found that those AV anvils have a nice TING to them and have about 90% rebound (measured it with the 1" bearing I bought). Now, I might have measured it all wrong, but I'll consider having an AV anvil.

All the three anvils are quite nice and have very very flat faces and I'm pretty sure they are cast steel, as I couldn't detect any indication that there was a steel plate welded on top of the anvil.

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Dad was famous for saying don't do. . . X then tell us how to do it. Seems the folks knew the stronger the warning the greater the temptation so Dad gave us the best shot he knew for experimenting without making B A D mistakes.

That`s actually a good tactic. Will try this out with my boy. =)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds really good, if you have room I'd recommend the 150kg. the 30kg is pretty light for general work and 200kg. isn't too large but it'd be a beast to move. Heck the 150kg. is a beast but not quite King Kong, beastly. Maybe Prince Kong? :lol:  

Is the asking price within range? If so I'd have one of them home right now and cutting steel for the stand. 

My Folks were darned good parents for all their quirks and foibles. Another tactic that went along with the amount of freedom and trust we enjoyed was. "Don't call us to bail you out if you get arrested."  Life was good growing up. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ok, so here we go again.

As soon as I first posted here I also posted on a facebook group telling I was after swedish anvils. I forgot that post until just now...

A guy offered me this for $296. He doesn't know the weight but it's 86cm from tip to tip. I already said I want it and ask him to keep it for me. Does anyone guess the weight? the owner doesn't know.

The face seems flat and good. And sounds like a real deal, but not one of those too good to be true, like last time...

I'll be more careful this time, but the man sounds legit.

Cheers!

101987180_254855302417399_1831822784607551488_n.jpg

102726021_2693559797527422_4320025827421978624_n.jpg

101856601_247511326539710_7539133635731914752_n.jpg

93439799_625420741518720_2736141291380277248_n.jpg

102874454_261454288299081_8730294488305500160_n.jpg

101987180_979080789177337_2073617357334380544_n.jpg

Hey, guys! Here she is!!!

One thing that I did not see on the picture the previous owner sent me is that the flat horn tip has been broken (or maybe cut off).

It's possible to see some rust spots on the face and what I believe is a welding spot; maybe some attempt at repairing? 

Lot's and lot's of chisel marks. This girl has been used a lot, I believe, but the table is near mint.

Also, she is heavy. It took me and another guy to take her out of the trunk and I can lift heavy stuff... In the past I did some weightlifting - today I still lifting weights, which basically means lifting myself from the bed every morning :P IDK how much does it weight and I'll probably don't know for a long time, as I don't have a place to weight it.

Overall I think I've made a great deal.

Oh, rebound is around 95% :)

What else you wanna see?

Cheers all and thanks a lot for the patience and helping me chose an anvil!

IMG_20200606_121712466.jpg

IMG_20200606_121540051.jpg

IMG_20200606_121550645.jpg

IMG_20200606_121615697_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20200606_121640497.jpg

IMG_20200606_121653446.jpg

IMG_20200606_121700105.jpg

IMG_20200606_140904284.jpg

IMG_20200606_121706019.jpg

IMG_20200606_121646839.jpg

IMG_20200606_121601064.jpg

Oh BABY that's a good deal! Patience sure paid off for you didn't it?

Yeah, it looks like the horns were shortened or maybe ordered that way, I don't know. Some dipstick used it for a table to weld something. Not much to do about those chicken tracks, knock the high points off with a sharp chisel along the surface to shear them off and forget them.

I'm officially suffering serious anvil envy. Not only is she a lovely pattern in great shape she's cast Swedish steel!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, Frosty, it was very worth being patient!

23 hours ago, Frosty said:

she's cast Swedish steel!

I thought she had a steel plate welded, by looking at that top part on this picture:

IMG_20200606_121540051.jpg\

Another question: what type of tool can be used on that side hardy hole?

She's the same high carbon steel all the way through. As I recall the "Swedish" iron ore contains Vanadium in enough % to make steel that's famous for being excellent. 

The square hole in the side that is connected to the hardy hole in the face is to allow punched slugs and cut off pieces to fall through and out. If a bottom tool say a swage jams in the hardy hole you can use a chisel like a wedge through the side hole and under the jammed shank to loosen it and get it out. 

I really doubt it's for some kind of side tooling but it is an unlikely possibility.

If you ever visit Alaska I'd sure like you to give my beloved Soderfors anvil a try so you can compare. If I ever get to Sao Paulo I'd love to try that beautiful lady of yours. If you get the chance try out other anvils so you understand just what an outstanding anvil you have.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

The square hole in the side that is connected to the hardy hole in the face is to allow punched slugs and cut off pieces to fall through and out. If a bottom tool say a swage jams in the hardy hole you can use a chisel like a wedge through the side hole and under the jammed shank to loosen it and get it out. 

That's a really elegant solution.

If you ever visit Alaska I'd sure like you to give my beloved Soderfors anvil a try so you can compare. If I ever get to Sao Paulo I'd love to try that beautiful lady of yours.

I'd love that, Frosty. Thanks for being so receptive!

I work at a company that's based in Seattle. If I ever go over to our HQ, I'll check if I can spend another day or two over and fly to Alaska.

And yes, if you ever come over, please let me know.

If you get the chance try out other anvils so you understand just what an outstanding anvil you have.

I could compare she to my anvil-shaped iron object, but I don't think it would be fair. :P

Cheers!

I found another thread here about this type of anvil. It was called a “pig”.  There are actually several. It seems to be a French style. This is one from from a guy in Argentina. Not the same  maker, but certainly the same style. That hole in the side does seem to be for the plug to fall through.

gh. 

Found some more listing of this same model here... We have/had some French rail companies here and during the Brazilian "Belle Epoque", we had a lot of influence of french culture (thus the name).

Want to clean mine up a bit and then get some carnaúba wax on her.

I think I'll wire brush the whole thing, but what about the face? Is it OK to wire brush the face?

Cheers!

OW:o, I don't let my face get THAT dirty! 

Wire brushing your anvil won't hurt a thing but don't wax or oil the face unless you're not going to use it for a while. HOT steel and oil can be entertaining until it's burned off. Yes? A lot of guys just lay an oily rag over the face and horn, not dripping oil, just oily like you've used it wipe oil off your hands, tools, etc. 

Frosty The Lucky.