I Forge Iron

Old microwaves have two very powerful magnets inside. Just be careful you don’t touch the capacitor unless you first drain it. I am not sure if the shock would kill, but it would hit you pretty hard. Another concern is the magnetron. Some contain beryllium oxide which is a carcinogen. Do not break the ceramic center of the magnetron. 

Not sure how trash collection occurs in your area. Around here there's bulk pickup weeks where such stuff is put to the curb for the claw truck to come by and pick it up.  Those would be the opportunities while doing 'necessary' errands ;-)

As for the capacitor, I've not come across one that DIDN'T have a bleed resistor on it (something like 1MegaOhm).  by the time someone goes to throw an old microwave out it should have done its job and discharged the cap.  As with most high power electronics, have a pair of rubber gloves and a sacrificial screwdriver handy to be sure the job's done all the way.  Thanks for the heads up on that ceramic- I was unaware of its composition.

no, if something like that goes you either hide it inside the bin and hope the collectors don’t notice or are responsible for taking it to the council recycling centre. All of which are shut due to lockdown. 

In ky when I worked for the local waste collection company if it wasn't a designated large refuse pick up day we had free rein to leave anything sitting that we deemed too heavy or inappropriate for the landfill. The customers also had the right to call and protest and complain. You'd be surprised by what people thought they could throw out just because it was in the garbage can. I've found cans full of rocks, full paint cans, and all manner of ridiculously heavy things.  The actual rule was cans couldnt be over fifty pounds. This was before the days of garbage trucks with hydraulic lifts and we did everything by back and brawn. 

Pnut

In Ohio we went from cans to 80 gallon plastic bins to 300 gallon plastic bins. As I had a double lot it was not unusual to find the neighbors' 300 gallon bins in my yard, 900 gallons of trash picked up on an irregular basis! Till I made a fuss that it was their trash it went on their yard!  As these were along an alleyway a lot of stuff was dumped in them in the middle of the night, Construction refuse, etc---of course we were not allowed to lock them. I think the worse was 3 huge carp that got dumped and were perfuming the air for over a week one summer.

• 4 months later...

That would get in the way of forging, plus the first time you bump the strap with a hot iron, you're either burning through or creating a weak spot that won't hold up in the long run. Either way, there's a bucket of concrete dropping to the floor, and you don't want that. 

(Although if you insist, I have some cool metatarsal protectors made of aluminum and rubber, and would be happy to sell you my extra pair for cheap.)

• 1 month later...

Another source of magnets is old computer hard drives (need to destroy the drive...and it needs to be one of the old spinning platter types). While not big, the magnets are pretty strong and might be used in combination with some metal to dampen the ring?

I have clamped a pair of Vise Grips on the heel to deaden ring. Others have used a bar dropped through the hardy or pritchel hole. I have seen weights hanging off of horns too.  As Glenn said, you want to disrupt the vibrations, so the item needs to throw them off in some way. The horn and heel act like a tuning fork, so that is where the best work is done for quieting an anvil, not the waist.

I am not a fan of chains on the waist, and used speaker magnets on my Soderfors. My main anvil is a Fisher, so ringing is not an issue.

I agree. Silicone layer with anvil tightly secured to the base. Magnet under the heel  and side of cutting step if the anvil has one if needed. Just the silicone and clamping the anvil to the base tightly will eliminate almost all the ring on most anvils. 

Currently mine has chain wraps. They get in the way and the sound dampening was no better than it was on my prior mount which was just a layer of silicone with bars over the feet and attached to base. Some day I will remove the chains and go back to that. 

I'm a dirt floor kinda guy so my anvil stump sits 2+' in the ground. I then inset my anvil into the top. The inset is deep enough for an inch or so of sand. The fit is tight so no vibration and the sand deadens the sound. Best of all, no buggers or traps around my forging area.