I Forge Iron

My first hammer

Momatt

Today I received a hammer eye punch and drift I bought from old hickory forge Etsy store.  I made my first hammer. I know it’s crude but I punched the eye, drifted it and forged it by hand to a Swedish pein style that I have wanted for a long time. Its right at 2 pounds. Time to dress it and put on a handle. 

D77D2119-75D6-4594-9877-747E45F3D47A.jpeg

5270CB23-ACA9-4BFD-AE5F-87968713D9A9.jpeg

Looks fine to me also.  Nice job drawing out that peen without fishmouthing.  That is tough on stock that size.  Don't forget the heat treatment (I recommend getting the faces ground before that)...

I do prefer my hammer eyes to be a bit more oval, and am surprised that the drift you purchased isn't more so, but I guess each to his own.  If you start making a lot more you may want to make your own drift that makes an eye a little closer to a commercial hammer eye so you can use stock hammer handles.

Thanks for the encouragement. I made it out of a scrap piece of drill tooling the drillers at work saved for me. The stock was around 2 inches.   I think it’s pretty close to 1045.  A hammer eye punch is a fun tool to use, so nice having hand away from the heat. 

15 hours ago, Momatt said:

so nice having hand away from the heat.

It is nice using a tool and not having your hand feel like a thin piece of white bread in a toaster set to MAX isn't it? It lets you take enough time to position the tool where you want it without rushing because you're being roasted alive. 

Enjoy punching holes, Heck I recommend you pick a suitable piece of stock and practice some. Punching and drifting holes is fun, you betcha what's more fun is putting them RIGHT WHERE you want every time. B)

Frosty The Lucky.