I Forge Iron

Hello from Central TX.

Sixshooter

Hello everyone, just joined the forum and glad to be here. I live in central Texas, and I am a beginner Bit and Spur maker. I currently build 2 piece spurs and welded bits, but am very interested in learning to build a 1 piece spur,  and forged bits in the future. 

I have a fair amount of fab/building experience, but am a rank beginner when it comes to blacksmithing. I recently purchased a very nice old anvil, and have a small gas forge on order, so I’m really looking forward to getting in the shop and fiddling around with some hot steel. 

Thank you for having me, and I sure look forward to learning from you all, as well as the wealth of knowledge archived here. 

- Caleb 

18 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Welcome aboard Sixshooter. There is a section Farriers and horse stuff below this one. There are several members threads, who make some very nice spurs there.

Thank you very much for the welcome and the heads-up, I’ll take a look! 

Welcome aboard Caleb, glad to have you. We LOVE pics and your AVATAR is just a teaser. May we see some of your spurs?

One piece forges spurs? I'm thinking that'd be rowely difficult.:blink:  Button or ball spurs should be pretty straight forward. Split  the stock for the yoke and forge down the shank and finial, (button, ball, your trademark knob thingy) spread and shape the yoke, decorate, easy peasy.

If you want roweled spurs you'll need a thin bridge to forge the shank after you split it though I'd just use a hack saw, open it enough to clean it with emery paper and close it to fit the rowel. 

If a person wanted to punch and drift the shank and forge the rowels with integral axles it'd take some thought and special tooling but be doable. It'd be one heck of a trademark style hand forged spur though. 

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Welcome aboard Caleb, glad to have you. We LOVE pics and your AVATAR is just a teaser. May we see some of your spurs?

Thanks for the welcome, Frosty! 

I’m a beginner, but these show the first 2 pair I completed, as well as my first bridle bit. Also, pictured are a few pair I currently have in progress, which obviously still need completed and silver mounted. 

As for the one piece spur, the old timers building in the “Texas style” (Adolph Bayers, Billy Klapper, etc) were/are known to prefer Ford Model T axles for forging spurs. I have heard those have all but dried up, but those still forging this style of spur are using dozer pins, sucker rod, and 4130 billets, from what I understand. After forging the piece into a “T”, I believe the process is very similar to what I am building from there on out. With the expection of the shank needing to be welded to the band. The process for building the rowels, cutting the rowel slots, building hangers, buttons, etc would all be very similar, I just need to figure out how to do the hard part of the process! lol 

EDIT: Sorry a few of the pictures are sideways, not sure how to correct that.

666D10B9-174A-4A2D-8F74-3E1B7FB1C0DB.jpeg

43602F43-CDC1-463A-A1FB-6E8084F6D0A9.jpeg

BE00D455-4DC0-4606-8973-A98863525455.jpeg

99579B41-9F71-4B7E-859D-AEBAECB2C2A0.jpeg

B98B59BB-F13A-44BA-8409-82373C049AB6.jpeg

28BC987D-E1E7-4EA3-AEF8-278FC47F13DE.jpeg

What do you think of as the hard part? 

I had to look up Texas style spur images, it's been so long since I wore spurs I was lost. I don't get the "one piece" part?

As a matter of taste I like the ones on your anvil better, the curved shank is more graceful. We never wore rowels that sharp though. My button spurs worked a treat with just a touch though they didn't jingle when I walked.

Frosty The Lucky.

25 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What do you think of as the hard part? 

I had to look up Texas style spur images, it's been so long since I wore spurs I was lost. I don't get the "one piece" part?

The type of spur I currently build is known as a "2 piece" spur. The heel band is bent hot, and then the shank is separately designed, cut out, shaped, and then welded to the heel band. The weld is then ground down and blended to the shank and band. On a 1 piece spur, the band and shank are 1 piece. Usually the steel billet is split halfway down the piece, and then forged into a "T" shape. The horizontal part of the "T" would be bent to form the heelband, and the vertical part of the "T" would be shaped into whatever shape of shank is desired. So, The main "frame" of a 1 piece spur is made from one single piece of metal, as opposed to a 2 piece that has the band/shank welded together. Although I guess it could be argued that after welding the 2 pieces together they are a 1 piece spur! It takes a very trained eye to tell the difference between a 1 piece and a 2 piece spur even holding them in your hands. The end result looks very similar.

The process of forging out a 1 piece spur as mentioned above is what I was referring to as the "hard part". I haven't attempted that process yet!

Okay, that's easy enough, the hardest part is estimating how much stock to start with. Weigh a spur and add about 50% to give you the starting weight of the stock. Steel weighs 0.28lbs/sq/ft. 

I haven't forged one but were I to I think I'd draw down the shank before splitting the stock for the heelband. Remember, the thinner the stock the faster it heats and burns so do the heavier work first. I'd make the first couple with the shank and band too long and trim them when I'm close to finished. After a few you'll get a handle on how much steel you'll lose to scale, filing, etc. and won't have to start with 50% extra. 

You aren't REALLY looking for model T axles are you?:blink: Just pick a good medium carbon steel, buy new and it'll be consistent and you won't have to adjust to a different material every time you forge a pair of spurs.

If you're going to arc weld them you can buy 1/2 round down to pretty small width and not even have to forge the bands, heat them up and bend around a jig. There I go again, thinking of production techniques. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Good advice, thanks Frosty! And no, I'm not hunting for any vintage axle shafts at the moment! 1/2" stock works well from what I've been told. Say you want a spur with 1 1/4" heel band, you could use a piece of 1 1/2" x 1/2 stock, split it, the heel bands and shank would end up about right after some shaping and grinding. This style spur traditionally has a 3/8" - 7/16" shank thickness, and 1/8" - 3/16" thickness for the bands. It all works out in theory at least! lol