I Forge Iron

Tim Lively Washtub Forge

Tim Lively

Elemental Metal Creations - For the tuyere I used 1 inch diameter black pipe and drill 1/4 inch holes spaced 1 inch on centers. This seems to give plenty of air flow without letting much ash in. I seldom have to clean the tuyere during forging but normally clean it before I light a new fire. Tell your wife thanks for buying you my video. It helps put food on the table!

On 4/15/2020 at 7:26 PM, Tim Lively said:

drill 1/4 inch holes spaced 1 inch on centers.

Thank you.,I got everything right but drilled 1/8 " holes, still works good but 1/4 would be better

Tell your wife thanks for buying you my video. It helps put food on the table!

She said your welcome, she spoils me!

• 1 month later...

So Glad to see this!...I miss my old 'Lively Forge', and miss Tim, and Thomas 'Bog Iron' Powers.  'Hickstick' here from the old Primalfires days.  I hadn't forged anything in many years, but recently set back up my soft firebrick forge and hammered out a preform on saturday.  god I miss it.  wasn't the prettiest thing but this was my old Lively forge....

Washtub forge

washtub forge 2

Howdy; some of us are just too mean to die!  I've had a no electricity shop for the last 16 years but am really hoping to get power to it before I retire.  I'm  ready to go late 19th century by now...

The JAWOD predated the JABOD; but they have the same background---getting folks forging!

Bog Iron

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Howdy; some of us are just too mean to die!

My wife's grandfather survived getting shot, stabbed, heart attacks (plural), brain cancer, strokes (plural), and serving in the Merchant Navy in the Atlantic convoys in WWII. Folks in his family used to say, "God don't want him, and the devil ain't ready!"

36 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Howdy; some of us are just too mean to die!

I've had a no electricity shop for the last 16 years but am really hoping to get power to it before I retire.  I'm  ready to go late 19th century by now...

is that (JAWOD) something like this, Nori Gob???  LOL

campfrg.jpg

campfrg2.jpg

Yes I'm big on telling folks that a solid fuel forge is really just a hole in the ground moved up to a convenient height for us westerners to work at.  Once you realize that it's fairly easy to make one to use.

I did the side of the fire ring forging at Real Viking one year; using two single action bellows. I don't recall if I had my Y1K anvil yet, been a couple of concussions ago.   Fun Viking event,  my tent was a a piece of heavy canvas thrown over a rope between two sets of lashed together tree trunks and my bedding was a pile of sheepskins.  There were a number of "cookie cutter" set up there as well.

• 6 months later...