I Forge Iron

Bellows 3rd dimension

Lee188

Hello all, I hope I all parting this in the right place. I have been wanting to make a set of great bellows for a while to reduce the number of power cords around the forge. I can find all kinds of info on length and width, I have seen info that says the top should be twice the size of the bottom and some saying the bottom should be twice the size of the top.... What I can see to find is how much they should open. I'm looking to make them 3'-4' wide and roughly 5' long. But how wide should they open? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

They definitely should open! 

Now there is NO specific distance set in stone. I used a set I built for about 20 years and the frame I built to hold it had the nozzle at the same level as my forge's tuyere pipe.  The lower board would open down to almost the bottom boards of the frame.  Worked fine for bituminous coal and charcoal.

If you were mounting it in the roof you could use a different measurement.

Now if you want to experiment; find something like heavy canvas awning materials and mock it up and see how the volume works for your use.  Then reproduce the "leathers" in the material of your choice.

You want an easy stroke of the handle to completely close the bottom chamber; of course this depends a lot on how long your pole is and how high it is set, your height and your "arm".