I Forge Iron

How do you develop a useful scrap pile ?

Someone always messes up a good thing. I used to work at book distribution center and we were allowed to take five returned books a month for free. They found a guy at the flea market selling books. He would get textbook lists from the four colleges and universities in the area and steal the books for required classes. The days of free textbooks came to a screeching halt. It was a sad day. 

Pnut

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Glenn's questions in the OP...

Being intentional about what to look for in scrap is what makes the pile useful for me.

I try not to get distracted by possibilities, which is hard to do because that quells imagination, and goes against one of the most attractive things about blacksmithing.  Things that are possible can brew a LONG time...which means a huge pile of junk.  It makes the wife unhappy, and snakes hide in there.

Instead, I look for steel that will serve a purpose.  Basically things that I know can be heat treated to something better than mild steel mainly for use as tooling.  Sucker rod, axles, drive shafts, all manner of springs etc. 

I wont turn my nose up at mild steel if its in a shape close to what I would buy for project materials, or if I see a purpose as a jig.

Otherwise, I seldom look to the scrap pile for project material...feeling that my random experimentation days are largely over.  I try and focus my forge time on making useful/marketable stuff according to design using shapes that are as close to the final product dimensions as possible.  The design itself is where I concentrate my creativity.

My favorite source is the scrap bin at a Ag Equipment repair shop.