I Forge Iron

Hammer fullering jig/tool

I’ve posted this on another place but it fits here and I figure more people will see it here. It’s a fullering jig I made out of scraps I got free that can fuller hammers or knives or anything really. It’s adjustable for different stock sizes. I tested it by making a 1.75 lb rounding hammer From 4140. it’s Easy and effective. Took a total of 6 heats to fuller of the hammer. 

CA0658E6-D57D-4914-AB8F-8671F2A8736C.jpeg

F7A8CC1C-85F8-436F-93D1-E0823D32BC88.jpeg

Looks good, lots of good work in that puppy! My only suggestion would be to round the ends some and smooth them up so they don't dig cold shuts if you use it full length on something.  Say fullering that sword I just KNOW you're dieing to make. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Is that a tool-and-die joke, Frosty, or does it need a fuller explanation?

That's really well done, GD2, and I think I will have to steal take inspiration from it.

I have only one small suggestion: add a handle projecting off the back end of the arm. I have a just such a handle on my big swing-arm swage, and it's really nice to be able to open the swage by resting my hammer on the handle while positioning the workpiece with my other hand. (When I'm using with my treadle hammer to square up hardy stems, it's also nice to be able to open the swage just enough to turn the workpiece 90 degrees, but that's a separate issue.)

Also, a question: is the top bar solid all the way through, not tubing like the uprights? Looks like it (and that would make sense); I just want to confirm.

Didn’t think of that frosty! I’ll get on it ASAP thanks! And I’ve made one sword but no fullers. Maybe it’s time for another hmm. Haha 

Thanks JHCC  I’ll add a arm to the back I like that  yes the pivoting arm is 1.25” solid. Only tubing is the uprights. 

the solid stock helps add weight so it doesn’t bounce as much and tube would collapse. Although I should work hunk if you stuck something in the end of the pipe like a bolt and welded it in to support the tube that might work

Nice design! 

Tube for the arm would work, only the top die needs to be solid and go through the tube.

If you arrange the botton die to be removable, then you can use body of the tool for different dies. Much like a guillotine tool.

With the lengthened arm, you could call it a trebuchet tool. ;)

The DISadvantage of interchangeable dies is that whatever holds them in place has to be strong enough to withstand pounding, while still able to come apart easily. Weygers has an interesting system in The Complete Modern Blacksmith that uses a flat spring to hold a top tool over a hardy, but it puts the hammering over the anvil's tail rather than (as with GD2's rig) its sweet spot.

Out of curiosity, GD2, what is diameter of round stock did you use for the dies?

I really only needed to use this one size and I can make a new one of these things in like 30 minutes so it’s no big deal. I used 5/8” round I believe. Medium carbon from an old wrench looking thing that had a round handle. I used medium carbon so it wouldn’t deform over time like mild steel might 

John; don't forget the engraving, niello, repousee, chasing, patination, enameling, filigree, granulation,...   You probably remember the tale of the celtic metalworker who only used 5 different methods of ornamentation on a piece and so was driven out of the tribe and exiled into the uttermost darkness...