I Forge Iron

Critique my Forge

Daniel95

when you go to make your t burner check over your fittings first, i put one together last weekend before i realised the 'T' had been tapped crooked.  

looks good from a distance but means the mig tip is misaligned and the jet will hit the side wall. 

good job i bought two of everything, next time ill chuck the mixing tube in the lathe rather then using the T itself for alignment.

One thing I noticed in a couple of burner building videos was they were assuming that the stem of the T was accurately in the middle of the fitting. They just measured the length of the fitting and divided in two to position the hole for the jet.  I also noticed that the fittings they were using came from China and thought that I would have checked that that was true BEFORE I drilled the hole.  Or did the positioning and drilling from the 3/4" hole.

indeed its an easy mistake to assume that the fittings and manufacturing process will all be true and parallel. a quality fitting should be fine but even known sources can cheap out on parts and cause issues.

fortunately it is easy to check most of these things prior to drilling and to accommodate manufacturing 'features'

When I thought of using the floor flange as a jig to drill and tap the T it solved the problem of the Ts not being centered on the chase. Center the drill bit in the nipple when you clamp the floor flange to the drill press table. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It does, however, rely on the floor flange being cast true perpendicular.  An even more accurate option would be to use a long enough nipple between the flange and reducing tee that you can shim the flange to true up the nipple to the quill of your drill (perhaps use a bit that has an OD as close as possible to the nipple's ID...).  I might just compromise by using a piece of angle to draw a couple of longitudinal lines on the nipple at the quarter points, then visually true up the flange/nipple assembly using a drill bit in the chuck.