I Forge Iron

Weber grill for forge.

Emttroy

Yes but it’s probably better as trading material

your basically going to fill the grill all the way up with dirt. You will only have a small bowl or trench  not a big honking one. The rest will be working surface. 

Charcoal likes a 6-8” fireball. And my experience lends me to make trenches about 4” wide and about a foot long angle down at about a 45degree angle with a 3/4” schedule 40 pipe tuyere angled down about 5 degrees at one side and about an inch up from the bottom. Then extend a hill on each side of the trench to contain the fuel mound above the hearth this will give you the ability to heat a 1” bar 6” long

Welcome aboard Roy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. And YES we'll get to visit again before too darned long!  If you're an EMT, thanks for doing what you do! A lot of us are alive because of rapid attention from EMS, you can read my adventure with the Great White . . . birch in the prayers section from 2008.

There are easier ways to make a more suitable charcoal forge than converting your BBQ smoker, like Charles says it's more valuable to you as trading stock. I'll bet if you contact the local blacksmith org. and offer it in exchange for a forge you can bargain for tools and maybe lessons. Blacksmiths LOVE food, especially smoky food!

Frosty The Lucky.

I throw an occasional mettwurst on the charcoal forge as I'm cleaning up and waiting for it to go out. Toss a grate over the jabod and make a snack with the last of the burning embers so yes I have to agree, blacksmiths like food especially smoky food. 

Pnut

On 4/5/2020 at 8:47 AM, BillyBones said:

zombie death virus

Oh, you joke about it now. Wait and see what happens if coffee logistics break down! 

Burning brush was my introduction to fire. Grilling and smoking food was my introduction to controlling fire at stable low levels. Now forging has introduced me to controlling an intense fire. It's all a virtuous circle. That brush burning? Control it and it can make charcoal for the others.

I use my webber to keep my pizza and smoking stones, kindling, and newspaper clean and dry for the kamado. It's a fine grill, though, and would be even better with a smoke box. I third the trade notion. I'd trade supplies to make a forge and some assortment other tools and stock for that if I hadn't splurged on the kamado.