I Forge Iron

CW marked anvil

I came across an anvil stamped CW for sale.  I don't have any pictures so I can't post any.  The anvil is stamped CW 117 at the waist so I'm assuming it's British but that's just a wild guess.  It has a hardy hole but no pritchel hole. The anvil looks a look like an old Mouse Hole I used to have.  I don't know anything about CW anvils and can't find anything on line other that a list of anvil makers.  Does anyone have more detail on CW anvils? 

Why would you assume it's British?  If it's stamped 1   1   7 it might be British---if it weighs around 147 pounds; but if it's stamped 117 and weighs 117 pounds it's definitely not British.  (Then a low  possibility for a  117 kg anvil...)

As to whether it's a good anvil or not that needs the ball bearing test run on it! Even the best name brand anvil can be a bad anvil due to losing it's temper in a structure fire---just like a high end sports cart could still be worth only scrap rate if it has been in a wreck and burned.

And to double check: the CW is stamped in and not cast out?

I assumed British because it looks like my old MH.  Definitely stamped markings.  Since I posted this the guy got back about actual weight, 134 pounds.  The horn is broke off so it is British.  I don’t trust the ball bearing test since the last anvil I bought had great rebound but was horrible.  Still curious the C.W.

Definitely British at 134# with a broken off horn and stamped 1 1 7.   With no pritchel it's probably pre-1830.

I like damaged anvils as you can sometimes get a good anvil very cheap. (My Powell is missing the heel but has a wonderful smooth hard face and usable horn, weighs over 125# and cost me US$40!---very handy to have when I get students who "hammer like lightening".)

How was that anvil horrible and what was the rebound?  (I've had one person tell me that the rebound on an anvil was great when it actually was that of cast iron...same thing with "ring".)

I'm at work and so can't get to Anvils in America till this evening and won't be online again till Monday.

The anvil was horrible because of the bad repair the previous owner did.  The weld was hollow underneath the face and acted almost like a trampoline with a ball bearing.  I new it was in bad shape when I bought it but didn’t realize how bad.  I’m mostly looking at this anvil to use in a treadle hammer build and for my kids when they help me.