I Forge Iron

anvil vs tools

Trying to decide if I should get an anvil or more tools. Haven't found a used anvil I could afford so looking at a small NC, mostly good reviews. I don't work on big stuff, 1/4 round or square and 1/8 flat bar is the typical size used for leaves, hinges, hooks etc. I do use 3/4 stock for campfire racks but only make a point on 1 end and make hole in the other.  My main need is shaping curves, I made turning forks and use some things like cans and branches. 

Cone mandrels that I've seen are to big or small and cost to much. I don't have the ability (tools and such) to make one. Using a rivet forge and square piece of steel for anvil, also have a leg vise. I do have basic tools hammers, tongs, angle grinder and a few  other assorted things.

Suggestions or things to consider?

That's a problem for sure. I haven't looked in a while but the last time I checked a couple of weeks ago they were available. If I can find one I'll PM you a link. 

Pnut

It's a shame they're out of stock. I live maybe twenty minutes away from the distribution center in Hebron KY where they ship from.  I did find one but it ships from Sydney Australia and it's AU195.00. i don't know if you would want to spend the extra money. I'll keep you posted if I find one. 

Pnut

195 AU$ == 118 US$; but shipping would be a killer!

Using the TPAAAT is really hard when anti-socially distanced;  but I would hold off on paying a lot for an anvil if what you are using is working for you until you can apply TPAAAT.

The supply chain for many items has a hitch in it's git-a-long due to Covid-19; I'm waiting on an Insulin Pump and shipping dates for IT stuff have ballooned.

TP I've ask many people with no luck, 20 plus years ago many 2nd hand resale shops had them, sure everyone realizes this and I have been looking for a couple of years. The few found ones belonged to grandpa etc... and folks had to keep them even though nobody used them. 

My last couple I've found from asking around after church service while folks are standing around drinking coffee.  Better prices too.  One was in a 92 year old lady's shed out on the farm.   If I hadn't asked *everyone*; that one would have been invisible.

Also my recent "hoard" came from letting folks know I was hunting...A person at our church volunteers with our community theater; they were told they need to move all their props and costumes as the old school they had been using a room in was going to be remodeled.  Well they were spreading the word that they needed a new storage space and one of their friends said that had an old building they could use but it was full of junk and did they know anyone interested in old blacksmithing stuff that had been piled up inside the building for 25 years? !!!!!!!!

Took about a week to get a deal done; mostly due to them saying; "Oh by the way we have 3 triphammers over at the house, would you be interested in them as well?"  I brought in a friend to help pay the added price for the hammers with him getting the 50# LG and me taking the 25# LG and the 25# Hawkeye Helve hammer still for sale.   I hope selling off the 248# Peter Wright anvil will help pay off my "loan" from our savings.

Anyway that hoard was in town and a smaller town than Lockhart TX; so don't despair; but do talk with *EVERYONE*; not just the folks you think might have one. (And definitely NOT only with the folks trying to make money off of selling such things!)

Masonred you don't need an anvil a block of steel will work just fine until you find one you can afford. I started out with the back side of a machinist vice. Then got an anvil. When i teach i have a set of blocks with legs welded on for a lesser term a striking anvil. If a student dents it or chips an edge I can just clean it up with an angle grinder. Had a old Farrier show up to watch me teach at the end of the class he pulled me aside. he was skeptical at first but after the class he said"that's the only way to go" .Farriers use a thing called a Stall Jack small and efficient for shaping shoes. You can make one very inexpensively