I Forge Iron

Peter Wright anvil

Hello.  I got this anvil in a swap to save it from going to Auction.  I mainly wanted it due to being BIG. And couple of the blocks came with it. Swedge, and cutoff I believe.  I was cleaning up today and had to move it so I figured I'd look to see what it was.  Seems this brand is a decent one.  Now I'd like to know a little more about it.  Rough age, and trying to understand the weight stamp?  Weight stamp is (2 - 0 - 24).  Thanks for any input.   Tried to figure how to post pictures,  but I failed.  It's in nice shape in my opinion. 

Welcome the the forum!

That would be 248lbs. By "cleaning" it, I hope you don't mean grinding the face at all. Any material removed from the thin steel faceplate removes a lot of life and usefulness from an anvil.

We will need to see the stampings and general shape to determine the age.

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST   I think it gives directions for posting pictures and many other tips like editing your profile to show your location as many answers depend upon knowing where in the world you are located.  The weight stamp is 248 pounds. the first number 2x112, the second number is 0 and the third 24 actual pounds.

Older blacksmiths' anvils are often stamped with a three-digit number indicating their total weight in hundredweight, quarter-hundredweight (28 lb), and pounds. Thus, an anvil stamped "1.1.8" will weigh 148 lb (112 lb + 28 lb + 8 lb)

No pictures?  Are we just supposed to guess?  So what brand is it?  The on line weight calculator indicates 224 pounds.  (I've never understood why we get so many differing answers to "how much does this weigh".)   Posting pictures is easy.  Just drag the picture from your PC to the bar at the bottom of the posting box where it says "Drag files here".  Easy Peazy!  Nothing to figure out.

2 hours ago, Chelonian said:

Welcome the the forum!

That would be 248lbs. By "cleaning" it, I hope you don't mean grinding the face at all. Any material removed from the thin steel faceplate removes a lot of life and usefulness from an anvil.

We will need to see the stampings and general shape to determine the age.

Lol. Cleaning up around home.  Not the anvil itself.  Did run wire brush across stamped area trying to bring lettering out bit more, but that's it so far. As for pix, I'm trying to load from phone which might be some of why I'm struggling to figure it out. 

20200322_184405.jpg

20200322_184411.jpg

20200322_184422.jpg

20200322_184432.jpg

20200322_184438.jpg

2 hours ago, Peter Wright anvil said:

Hello.  I got this anvil in a swap to save it from going to Auction.  I mainly wanted it due to being BIG. And couple of the blocks came with it. Swedge, and cutoff I believe.  I was cleaning up today and had to move it so I figured I'd look to see what it was.  Seems this brand is a decent one.  Now I'd like to know a little more about it.  Rough age, and trying to understand the weight stamp?  Weight stamp is (2 - 0 - 24).  Thanks for any input.   Tried to figure how to post pictures,  but I failed.  It's in nice shape in my opinion. 

20200322_184456.jpg

20200322_184449.jpg

20200322_184438.jpg

20200322_184432.jpg

20200322_184422.jpg

20200322_184411.jpg

20200322_184405.jpg

If the pritchel hole is not a retrofit it indicates that the anvil is most likely more recent than 1830 and so in a good working age for an anvil---we don't consider them *old* till they get that second century on them.

If you'd like to pretty it up a bit going over it with a power wire brush---WEAR EYE PROTECTION and  DUST MASK and then wiping down the body with boiled linseed oil will make it look good.  The face should only need the regular application of red hot steel to it to keep it in good shape after a light wire brushing.

Have you been to a Quad-State Blacksmith's Round-Up in Troy Ohio yet?  Held every fall and a great place to buy and sell smithing stuff.  Also Ohio has several ABANA Affiliates that when not shut down by current events have regular meetings.

The "PATENT" mark with the "Solid Wrought" circle (can just barely seem to make out part of it) I believe places it 1860-1890. Newer have "ENGLAND", older no "PATENT"

At least per my digging after I got my PW's.

16 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

If the pritchel hole is not a retrofit it indicates that the anvil is most likely more recent than 1830 and so in a good working age for an anvil---we don't consider them *old* till they get that second century on them.

If you'd like to pretty it up a bit going over it with a power wire brush---WEAR EYE PROTECTION and  DUST MASK and then wiping down the body with boiled linseed oil will make it look good.  The face should only need the regular application of red hot steel to it to keep it in good shape after a light wire brushing.

Have you been to a Quad-State Blacksmith's Round-Up in Troy Ohio yet?  Held every fall and a great place to buy and sell smithing stuff.  Also Ohio has several ABANA Affiliates that when not shut down by current events have regular meetings.

I believe it is all original. I will drag it out in the drive and wire wheel it when the weather breaks.  Been busy moving things around for some home renovations about to start (how I end up moving/messing with it the other day). Thanks for the info. Always fun to start new adventures.  (Not that I need many more hobbies, I have about 50 hit and miss engines amongst other things) lol.

Have not been to troy but will check it out.