I Forge Iron

2300 IFB propane forge?

I'm wondering what I need to coat the inside of my forge with if anything. Its built out of 2300 IFB. I'm also not sure how to add a flare end to the burner bodies as it goes down into the top. How far into the bricks should I position the bodies? I'm using 3/4" x 10" black pipe. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

IMG_20200315_175926_301.jpg

20200315_130801.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photos.

Anything you coat it with--even kiln wash-- would help reduce the damage that direct exposure to flames will do to that brick; it is meant mainly to be a secondary insulation. This kind of brick became popular as the easy way to construct electric kilns, long ago--not gas forges.

If you're not willing to completely rebuild that forge, the practical move, at this point, would be to add a 1/2" thick layer of Kast-O-lite 30 on every wall, the ceiling, and floor of that forge. BUT, do it in stages; first the floor, then the ceiling, and finally each wall. After casting--and curing-- each surface, run tape over the areas that will abut other refractory surfaces. Why; to reduce the chances of them cracking during thermal cycling.

I don't see any burners in those photos. I only see a plumbing system for two burners.

Welcome aboard CCMW, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Who's forge and burner plans are you following? Have you asked the author? 

What you have now some parts for a couple burners. Do you want naturally aspirated or gun (blown) burners? 

You didn't REALLY weld the forge frame together did you? I sure hope you left a way to change IFBs or it's going to become a dust collector when the too low rated IFBs break up. Even with a good layer of Kastolite 30 and a kiln wash they are going to experience temps above their working maximum and those do NOT withstand rapid thermal cycling like you get in propane forges.

There are a number of proven gas forge and burner designs posted under the appropriate sections on Iforge and there are a number of threads discussing the hows and whys for how guys use them. It's well worth a read. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the advice! I've been piecing together what info I can find on this. My plan was to use naturally aspirated burners with 11/4" to 3/4" bell to a 10" -3/4" black pipe as the burner body. Attached with set screws to the brass fittings above the mig tips.

I feel like I should start over. Any suggestion on a link to a step by step tutorial build. I'll include my location SE Michigan, thanks for the that tip.

If you go to the Iforge opening page and start scrolling down you'll find all kinds of fascinating things but it'll test your skimming skills, there are thousands of posts in this general section. select it and you'll find two of the most recent: "Forges 101" and "Burners 101". Early in Burners 101, I list the basic ratios to make a successful burner, regardless of size the ratios stand.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/65-gas-forges/

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...