I Forge Iron

First Timer from Texas

Bleu86

Hello!

I'm located in Austin, Texas and have absolutely zero experience smithing. After watching TONS of YouTube videos I decided to give it a shot.  I work a desk job and I miss the satisfaction of physical work and creation.   At first the plan was to build a basic coal forge but after getting my dad involved (I'm married with 3 kids) we ended up getting a single burner gas forge today.  Still working on setting up the "shop" when we have time but hope to start moving metal in a week or two.  I'll have a ton of questions as I develop I"m sure, but currently I don't even know what I don't know.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with everyone here.

B

Welcome aboard

There are lots of experienced people here that are more than happy to help. Myself I am like you in the "don't know what I don't know" category. I do have a welding background and some nice toys in the shop though. I end up working in Austin quite often but fortunately I do not live in the city. I live in Liberty Hill just north west of ATX.

The standard suggestion is to post your location with your avatar so that in future posts you may be able to hook up with someone local and to read the READ THIS FIRST section.

Welcome aboard Bleu, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might discover how many members live within visiting distance. 

It's pretty refreshing to make the acquaintance of someone who knows they don't know enough to know what they don't know. That my friend is a BIG first step. 

Tip 1. Don't take what you see on Youtube at face value, too much is not only wrong some is dangerously WRONG. The video how to section on Iforge has been vetted by guys who know how to do the stuff so it's pretty good watching, they shouldn't steer you TOO wrong.

There are a number of excellent coal and charcoal forge build threads under the "solid fuel forge" section here. 

A quick word of advice probably WAY too early but here goes. Don't make any equipment in your shop permanent till you know what you want where. I've been doing this off and on for I don't know how long, 50 years maybe and I move my anvil frequently, often while the work is heating back up. Some things need to be really solid like your leg vise  but most can be moved for convenience or the job.

Frosty The Lucky.

30 minutes ago, Old Crew said:

I end up working in Austin quite often but fortunately I do not live in the city. I live in Liberty Hill just north west of ATX.

I'm very familiar with Liberty Hill.  Grew up in Leander and currently live right on the border between Austin and Cedar Park.  

Its good to have toys. Its one of the reasons I asked my dad to join me, lol!  He is retired and has a much nicer collection than mine, as well as tons more space and some rolling tables to mount to.

Hello Bleu86. Pleased to make the aquaintnence of another Texan. I'm a bit far from you. I was green as grass when I started out here too, but this is the best place you could have found for knowledge. What are you interested in learning to do? You'll find that what you want to make will evolve as you learn more of what to do. My advice is to learn the basics first. Then you'll be able to apply those into producing whatever you want. Most of all, enjoy the ride and read and ask questions. Welcome to the gang :)

Hello, and thank you for the welcome!  My current end goal is blade smithing, maybe even some pattern welded stuff, but I know I'm a long way from that.  Right now I definitely want to focus on basics and making the tools I will need.