I Forge Iron

Cast my forced air ribbon burner today

Chris C

Well, much like the useless fretting I did over casting the KOL30 in my forge, (which turned out to be a total "piece of cake")  I've put off the casting of my ribbon burner for the same reason.  Next to connecting all the pieces of my 2" air and propane piping to the forge, I'm finished building my forge.  I cast the ribbon burner today and it took right at an hour...........start to finish.  Easy Peasy!  Can't really believe I fretted over it for so long.  It's got something like (I've actually forgotten how many now) 179 1/8" straws for the holes.  This is a forced air burner, so the size of the holes won't be a problem.  Started asking questions about building a forge in May of 2019 and am sliding into "home" 10 months later.  Took too long in my opinion, but I spent an unusual amount of time and effort doing what I do best, which is being OCDC. :lol:  I don't want to do anything half-heartily and mess it up.  Besides, I "needed" to put in all of the fretting and procrastination time for good measure. :DMany people have told me differently, but this is my last forge, if I can help it.  (bet I take a lot of ribbing over that one!)  I've never liked doing things over or having to buy/make better because I didn't do it the right way the first time.  We'll see if I accomplished that this time.

If it doesn't blow up and level my shop, I'll try and post a video when I get it up and running.

Thank you Chris. I still have a long way to go. Constantly learning and tweaking and getting those ah- ha! moments are fun. Not nearly where I'd like to be, but enjoying the journey on the way. You'll do just fine. Are you interested in doing general blacksmith work as well as knife making? I've never thought to ask before

While general blacksmithing isn't my primary goal, CGL, I figure to do a lot of it if for no other reason than to gain hammer control and general knowledge as to "what moves where and why".  So I have in my future lots of leaves, hooks, blacksmith knives, table-top nick-nacks, shop tools, etc., etc., etc.  I've a long list of "someday" projects.  I'd really like to make hammer heads.  We'll see how well that plays out considering I don't have, nor will I ever have, a power hammer. :D  Anxious to get my journey started.  It's been frustrating watching so many of you getting started and leaving me in your dust. :angry:  I hope to correct some of that. 

I'm within a week or so of having the forge ready to fire.  I need to take my big tank and have it filled with propane, but I'm on a weight restriction from a surgery I had this past Tuesday.  Not supposed to be lifting more than 10 pounds for the next two or three weeks.  I'll probably break that rule if I'm feeling good.  Today is the first day I've felt completely human since the surgery.

Whatever you do, keep it enjoyable. You are like me in that you have perfectionist tendencies and that can be an exercise in fustration! I have to make myself relax sometimes. But striving for something to be just right ain't a bad thing either ;)

I hope you recover from surgery quickly. Take care of yourself

Me...............a perfectionist, CGL...............NAW, not little 'ol me.  roflmao.gif.8c464e03f7e61611a4a85a80d7f51e34.gif  There are a lot of things in this world I won't even try because of being a perfectionist.  It's maddening sometimes.  I tend to miss out on a lot because of it.

Oh, IFC, I'll be a good boy.  My wife screams at me all the time about not paying attention to the Doctor's instructions.  Between the nagging from my wife and my conscience, surely I'll do this thing right!

It's a 100# tank, Thomas.  About 48" tall.  I figure when I get my weight restriction lifted, (supposedly another 3 to 4 weeks)  I'll be able to get it into the truck............not quite sure if I can get it off the truck when it's filled though.  At least not until I'm completely healed from this surgery.  Don't know when that'll be.  The Surgery Doc called today and cancelled my Post-op appointment.  Said at my age and just having had surgery, he didn't want me out and about to possibly be exposed to this virus..........and that definitely included his office!  Said my immune system is compromised.

You need to find an engine hoist Chris, I can lift my 100lb. tank into the pickup over the gate with no more effort than pumping the handle. It's got to be one of my best ever yard sale scores to date. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I made an A frame out of ten foot pieces of 3/4 inch water pipe that came out of our well, then forged the top bar from sucker rod which fits inside the pipe legs held in with set screws. works well for lifting stuff out of the truck which fits under the frame. Heaviest load so far is 1200 pounds using the wire ratchet come along.

100_1807.thumb.JPG.ee8a90eb75b39ed23dd46bb234716756.JPG