I Forge Iron

Need help burner position

Paul Kin

Thanks Latticino, I will look into the diamond hole saw. If its more then $30 it may be worth breaking down and getting wool... the problem is shipping. Its nearly the same cost as the wool. And Im not 100% sure what you mean by casting the burner ports for a burner block. Do you mean cut the holes big and shape them with refractory??

So my next question if I go this route, who wants to be in my will?!? Cause when the wife finds out... But more importantly, which refractory? I can get a pint of vusuvius super 3000 for $25. Most people on a forum for us Canadian knife makers (is that ok to say??) recommend it. A pint of ITC-100 is $96. I know its the best bet for ir reflecting but man oh man! Can get it in half pints but I calculated my forge to be 2.5 sq/ft. So pushing it for a half pint. Other option is a 9 lb pail of cast-o-lite 30 for $45. Surprisingly its only about $3 more for shipping and it wont freeze in transport like the others likely will. Also, with the cast-o-lite I can get a good thick layer then coat it with itc when money allows right?? As far as flux damage goes, I think I will use a stainless tray for welding so it shouldnt be a problem.

I tried my best to do this on $0 but you guys were right as always! I really should have listened right away... I am sorry for that. I can be very hard headed sometimes (wife says always). 

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I will probably have to wait another paycheque or 2 to go this route but maybe its worth waiting.

Just found a source of refractory in Prince George! (4 hours away) $80 for a 55 lb bag! Its called ocl moldit x. I cant find much info about it but the guy says its rated to 3000°. I happen to have a friend in PG until thursday...

Ok I got the go ahead from the wife if I sell my hand pew pew. (Not sure the rules on firearm talk). Anyway, that gives me the budget to order enough 2” wool and a 9 lb pail of cast-o-lite 30 from Canadian forge and farier. Will this work out? It seems like a 1/2-3/4” layer of cast-o-lite over 1-2” wool is a fairly common thing from what I have been reading. 

What do you guys think?