I Forge Iron

Newbie from GA.

Stickman81

Greetings from just south of the ATL!

Just signed up to be able to say hello and start to read and ask questions!  I am interested in taking my first steps to learning about blacksmithing. 

I recently bought an ASO.  It's a "Central Forge", 110 LB anvil.  I feel that I got lucky and snagged it pretty inexpensively.  I was pleased to read some positive things about them and knew they had some inherent problems. 

This afternoon I was able to get an anvil stand built and touch up the anvil on the horn and the top plate to remove some of the tooling marks.  It looks a lot better than it did.

Now, to decide on purchasing or building my first forge.  There is so much information to read its getting a bit overwhelming. 

I look forward to what the next few months bring with learning something new!

Thanks!

20200229_193602.jpg

If that is one of the cast steel ones; it's not an ASO but a low grade anvil!  ASOs are the cast iron ones looking like an anvil in shape---sort of but not having the ruggedness needed in an anvil due to being low grade cast iron.

I'd be interested in the results of the ball bearing test on it.