I Forge Iron

Home-made Plistix

I am remodeling a bathroom at my lair, and I got some nice porcelain tile from lowes for the shower and floor. As I have been cutting tile, I have acquired a quantity of super-fine porcelain.. silt? My thought was to mix it with satanite and test it on a small square. Does anyone know if this has already been tried, or have an opinion to share?

Look up the vitrification temp for kaolin clay IIRC it has a lower melting temp than Satanite so it's a step backward.  Take a look though, I've been wrong before. Please let us know what you find. 

I plan on mixing zircopax (zirconia flour) with my kiln wash for the next forge. 

Frosty The Lucky.

From what I read so far, the melting temperature can be as low as 1800° and as high as 3200° depending on what other minerals are mixed in. Satanite is rated up to 3200° I'm reading. My thought was the dense tile would reradiate well due to the glassy-ness of the fine particles. I'm seeing that there are too many variables based on what all could be in the tile. I'll give it a go anyway because its leftover powder and it'll be a fun learning experience. Me thinks to fire a square of it and then lay a little flat stock 50% on it and compare which end gets yellow first. 

do you have a way to fire the porcelain?  or are you going to attempt to use the forge?  I've been playing a lot with zirconium/boron/kaolin/bentonite some odd stuff called starlite and a few other things.  All I think trying to do the exact same thing you are trying.  none of it's worked.  My next step is building a nice pitfire kiln in the backyard...cause why not have more ways to play with fire...and try to actually fire cone 10 clay and see how the resulting porcelain holds up as a forge floor.  Of course now that I say that on here a dozen guys will chime in and tell me how and what they've tried in that regard and it will be back to the drawing board.  but i'm still building my fire pit ;)