Facial Hairstyles and Filtering Facepiece Respirators

ThomasPowers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ARRRR Matey! I had to wear a patch for a while after the accident and kind of liked it. I went to the church Halloween party as a pirate with a rubber chicken on my shoulder and a plastic hook. Kids loved me, of course I had a bag of booty and I passed out chocolate coins. Some of the grown ups asked where my peg leg was and it got a little old having to explain how far prosthetics have come since the 14th century and that it was considered insensitive to ask in polite company. All in Pirate speak of course!

It was a GREAT party.

Frosty The Lucky.

My wife does not like me in a beard (probably because it's patchy) but threatens me with bodily harm if I shave off the mustache. She almost had a breakdown when I went through some chemo in 2016 and was hairless and threatened to glue a false mustache on my upper lip.:D

On 9/11/2021 at 8:00 AM, Dax Hewitt said:

My Mrs says she will divorce me if I ever shave clean.

Dax, you remind me of a story from my friend David, who was one of my father's students back in the 1970s and who had the most enormous, luxuriant, silky beard you can imagine. The morning of his wedding, he remembered that he had decided when he first grew the beard that he would make sure to shave before he ever got married, so that his bride would see what she was getting while she still had a chance to back out. So, out came the scissors and a razor, and he showed up for the service clean-shaven for the first time in thirty years.

Fortunately, he turned out to be one of the most handsome human beings those present had ever laid eyes on, so the service proceeded as planned.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Positively Haigiographic! 

You know this is just the second post I've opened today and I've had to spend 10 minutes reading a wiki article to figure out the joke. So when I'm ready to reply I discover I have to look something else up. 

Once I submit this post I'm going back to Listening to, "Bubba The Monster Killer," I've learned enough for one day.

Frosty The Lucky.

As usual it's sunny and in the 90's degF here; I could send you explanatory signals with a mirror; but then that would be Heliographic Hagiography and someone would call shenanigans!   (And don't feel bad I have to look everything up myself to make sure I'm spelling things right and haven't misused a term accidentally.) 

Fort Selden, near Radium Springs NM, had a Heliograph up on a local mountain and of course Kipling's "A Code of Morals" makes good use of one...

Feel free to ignore me; most people do and live satisfactory lives and do not, evidently, consider me interesting enough to be electrifying! 

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

I've had to spend 10 minutes reading a wiki article to figure out the joke.

Could be worse. Thomas was referring to "The Golden Legend", whereas my own exposure to the hagiography of SS. Cosmas and Damian is primarily through the troparia and kondakia of the Eastern Orthodox Church (which do not contain the anecdote to which he alludes).

I loved Church parties, Dax, there were always crowds of kids and I liked playing for them. Frosty the pirate was a fun character, almost as much fun as the one I based on Around The World in 80 days, steam punk. The kids got that one immediately and got to explain it to their parents. The "Nurse Frosty" clown was a bad one, I had no idea how many kids were afraid of clowns. I prefer to be a good influence on kids and kids respond well to folks who make them laugh while talking about the serious stuff. If that makes sense.

I need to read, "The Golden Legend" to get Thomas's reference, John?! :o You two are just WAY TOO scholarly for this college drop out!

You're the kind of guys I prefer to hang out with, I LIKE to read. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny; they didn't cover Hagiography in my geology classes in college---or my computer science ones.  This is all from my near random and voracious reading with lashings of my medieval research bleeding over.  In this case I remember seeing an early renaissance painting of a leg replacement and recalled that a couple of Saints were reputed to work medical miracles, though they probably charged an arm and a leg.   Google tossed up the names  and a copy of the picture I remembered.

John probably had to memorize all that stuff as he had a much more orthodox college background IIRC...

Frosty, since the Golden Legends was originally written in Latin in the 13th century even modern English translations do not read very smoothly or easily in the 21st century.  I've dipped into it but I didn't have the staying power just to sit down a read it like a novel or a modern non-fiction work.  It was a hugely popular and influential work in the late middle ages.  It was the 15th century equivalent of a "blockbuster" once printing was invented.  Anybody who could afford books, even the much cheaper printed volumes, had a copy.  The wiki article about it is pretty good.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thomas:  You didn't have to take the hagiography lab course?!  i seem to recall having to examine bits or saint's relics under a polarizing microscope and the influence of local geology on miracles.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

No; I remember a book on the influence of geology on miracles; but it was relative recent one trying to explain a lot of "miracles" as due to earthquakes in the region. A bit much with manipulating the data to force conclusions; after all we all know all this stuff was due to Venus going past anyway---Immanuel Velikovsky  said so!  Most of my Geological dealings with the saints was with the rare appearances of St Pauli Girl and the more common interactions with St Cheap Beer or St Someone else is buying!  Now I did have an Old Rasputin Sunday night...

Now I gotta learn Latin? Gee THANKS George!

I'm going back to sci fi and paleontology, I already have lots of texts with have pictures.

The geological connection to ancient: legends and such is pretty obvious and SOME of the new articles ring as good descriptions of what they can see and measure. 

The paleontological connection is much better and more specific than geology. Dragons and carnosaur skulls was obvious to me when I first started reading more in depth than, "Boy's Life," or "All About books." If a person were to look at a sauropod spine and connect it to a carnosaur skill, very dangerous critters over 100' long is how Shamen explain them and fit the stories into the belief system. There are native American stories in the SW here, the "Thunderbird," is probably the best known. That reminds me, I left pterosaurs out of my previous maunderings.

Did the Prisoner ever escape?

Frosty The Lucky.