I Forge Iron

poket prybar

loneronin

I wanted a poket prybar and some days ago  i found a little piece of steel cutted off from an other project. the material is a leaf spring from a truck. I don't like to put steel in the garbage so i gave it some blows and drifted an old and abused screwdriver bit in the centre hole. I used the drill and the dremel disc to get more grip to the handle. three normalizing circles, quench in warm oil, tow one-hour tempering circles at 200-210 °C and that's it.

IMG_4426.jpg

IMG_4429.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

IMG_4430.JPG

Very nice and looks handy.   In some locations such things should not be carried as they get called a burglary tool and the Police can charge you with carrying it.   I wonder if you could do a variation that looks and works as a bottle opener on the other end and make the useful bit look like ornamentation?

I didn't thought about this possible issue. I just wanted a keychain prybar to open paint cans or emergency wrench/screwdriver bits handle. I had no "bad ideas" for it but the police can see it like you said as a burglary tool. as you suggested it can be used as bottle opener with a little modification on the handle side but now that it's hardened I should soften it and heat treat it again after the modification... I will keep it as is by now.

21 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

In some locations such things should not be carried as they get called a burglary tool and the Police can charge you with carrying it.

I've had a run ins with the police over burglary tools on a couple of occasions. The only time I thought it wasn't completely ridiculous was when I used to carry a metal business card from my friends lock smith company.  It had different lock picks cut into it. It was confiscated immediately.  It was actually pretty cool. The other times it was pretty outrageous in my opinion to be unable to have things like screwdrivers or other tools in my vehicle. I don't have a history involving anything that would make you think I'd be using them for other than their intended  purpose for the assembly business I used to have. Oh well. It pays to know the laws where you live. 

Pnut

I remember back around 1980 being hassled over carrying my chainmail kit on a plane; basically a couple of sets of pliers and a set of hand snips  and a bunch of steel wire. Finally I was told I could take it if I showed them a Business card.  No problem but what my card as a geologist had to do with my maille making kit they couldn't explain.

I still miss the days where I got on a plane with two swords and my pocket knife and all they did was ask me if I wanted to put the swords in the hanging clothes closet on the plane...For an international trip too!

18 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I remember back around 1980 being hassled over carrying my chainmail kit on a plane; basically a couple of sets of pliers and a set of hand snips  and a bunch of steel wire. Finally I was told I could take it if I showed them a Business card.  No problem but what my card as a geologist had to do with my maille making kit they couldn't explain.

I still miss the days where I got on a plane with two swords and my pocket knife and all they did was ask me if I wanted to put the swords in the hanging clothes closet on the plane...For an international trip too!

the mother of imbeciles is always pregnant... it can be considered also a weapon due to the square edges and the pointy end...

Yup, though this was *after* the Cuba hijackings. Now on the positive side of things; sometimes I get to leapfrog the security lines when I tell them I am an insulin dependent Diabetic carrying supplies---I *always* get inspected and wanded though; just sometimes in the Flight Crew line.

When I flew to Alaska I carried my rifle slung and stowed it in the closet (thingy) by the front galley and they didn't say boo about the sheath knife on my belt. I left my pistol home, my sister in-law freaked at the idea of having one in the neighborhood let alone her house.

That was '72, folk in the lower 48 "KNEW" Alaskans lived in igloos or log cabins, fought grizzly daily if the polar bears hadn't run them off and drove dog sleds to the market. I wasn't the only one to get off the 747 carrying a rifle. A Texan friend made his first appearance at Anchorage International Airport wearing: buckskins, moccasins, coon skin cap, fur coat, carrying a: rifle, knife and tomahawk. The bota bag didn't show. My Texican friends and I were there to pick him up and stood in awe. They'd told him Anchorage is a  modern city and summer is warm, sent pictures even. Nobody working at the airport batted an eye.

The next time I flew I carried that rifle in a hard case and checked where insurance would cover it. 

Frosty The Lucky.