I Forge Iron

Thinking of starting, hints, tips, and tricks?

I’m very interested in forging and basically just starting a hobby. I’ve seen some videos from ArtbyAdrock, and I think it looks fun. Not looking to build my own, when it comes to flame and gas, I’d rather not trust my ingenuity there. I’m looking to spend around 300 on a basic small set up and some tools, and casts and such. Basically just start with bars of whatever to get my feet wet. 

the big question is how much propane one usually goes through to forge. I’d like to start with aluminum since cans are usually pretty plentiful, and move up from there. Aluminum has a lower melt point, and as I said pretty plentiful. Any and all recommendations are welcome! Thanks all!!

Aluminum is usually melted and cast, not forged.  What is it exactly that you are wanting to do?   If you want to forge steel; working with Al is not going to teach you much and is more expensive than plain steel.  If you want to get into foundry work; may I commend to your attention alloyavenue.com a set of forums dedicated to the backyard metal caster.

44 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Aluminum is usually melted and cast, not forged.  What is it exactly that you are wanting to do?   If you want to forge steel; working with Al is not going to teach you much and is more expensive than plain steel.  If you want to get into foundry work; may I commend to your attention alloyavenue.com a set of forums dedicated to the backyard metal caster.

I guess I may check them out. 

Welcome aboard, sounds like you are interested in casting and want a furnace as opposed to a forge. Don't be discouraged if your post is moved to the proper forum. Knowing where in the world you are located will help with answers/advice, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/91-smelting-melting-foundry-and-casting/