I Forge Iron

Square Bowl

bobasaurus

Nice bowl, I like it! Just take a grinder to the weld, I won't tell. :ph34r:

With your work as nice is it usually is, who cares if your welds are pretty? You aren't doing structural welds, so concentrate on your talents for now. Maybe someday you'll need pretty welds, call these practice. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Boba, your knives and damascus work are fantastic. Just visited your imgur website. Can still learn a lot from you when it comes to knife making! Regarding the welding, try to get a MIG / MAG welding post or limit yourself to larger tack welding. In my case I am going to edit this type of welding with a grinding disc (no flap disk because of the dents that you grind uncontrollably anyway). Work away the grinding marks with a coarse/rought wire brush. I camouflage these operations with an additional heating in the blacksmith fire and the ringing milling scale that I then brush away (psssst ...do not tell further;)). Good luck.

I'd use a pipeliner disk, it's made to cut on the edge, to get most of it cleaned up then the flap to finish dressing it. Looking at your weld I'd recommend slowing down and giving the weld time to fill out moving ahead slower and smoother.

I wouldn't weld the ring completely around.  The bowl isn't anything structural. I would recommend just making four good tack welds, spaced 90* apart to hold the ring on.  They will probably look much nicer to you.  Make the welds on the inside of the ring where they won't show.

Thanks a lot Hans, I'm still a novice at welding and only intermediate at forging.  What is a welding post?  Using a regular grinding disc is a good idea to get the humps down first.  Might give this a try. 

Les, is a pipeliner disc just a slightly thicker cutoff disc that you can cut and grind with?  Good idea on the weld speed, one problem is my little welder isn't rated for this thickness (should have preheated). 

1 hour ago, arkie said:

Make the welds on the inside of the ring where they won't show.

BINGO 3 or 4 tacks on the inside of the ring and don't worry about how they look!

Though I must agree with IDF&C and Thomas. Bragging up the current welds as a design element worth it's own alcove in the Smithsonian. Don't forget to talk about how many years it's taken you to learn to get them to come out JUST LIKE THAT.

I'll remind you, Blacksmithing and Bull Shooting have the same abbreviation for a good reason. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Hmmmm. I've always preferred to view this type art through a glass table top while laying on my back under it. I'm thinking a gallery with thick, stain resistant carpets, wait staff and a liquor licence would be cutting edge. 

Investors? PM me. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Bobasaurus, A Pipeliner disk is about 3/16 thick, thinner than a grinding disk, thicker than a cut off disk. It's designed to clean up the welds on pipe between weld passes, fits into the v groove and cuts on the edge, like a cut off disk, instead of the face like a grinding disk.