I Forge Iron

Forge welding: Coke vs. Coal vs. Charcoal

Hi all,

I've found various topics discussing bits of this but no definitive answer....

Can anyone comment on the benefits of different solid fuels specifically for forge welding?

I am having troubke forge welding with coke and have seen mention that coke is actually not ideal for forge welding. Might I have more success using charcoal just for welding?

I have heard of other blacksmiths have special coal just for welding use..... is that true?

Any tips from anyone else who uses coke?

I just got done with a forge welding workshop with Mark Aspery and we used coke for the class, and everyone in the class managed each weld type. Faggot, coller and "drop tong" welds. They didn't go into fuel type, but I've heard that certain coals aren't as good as they have impurities in them that could effect to weld. I'm sure someone with more experience and expertise will be along shortly.

I have the best results when welding with charcoal.  I like it so much I'm building a side draft forge just for charcoal. It is much cleaner than the coal I have available now.  At one time I had some low sulfur bituminous coal that would weld almost as well, but it was expensive and had to be shipped from a blacksmith supply house.

Not fuel related, but something that was taught at the class I was at was how to tell when you lost welding heat. When scale starts forming on the piece your below welding heat. So hit it while it's clean and wet looking and stop and reheat when you see ANY dryness or crud forming on the piece

Thanks for the offer John!

I have a blade course booked with Owen Bush in April so my tuition budget has currently run out.... but if I can scrape some money together for a visit to you in Devon later in the year I will do.

In the mean time I'll have to try and bumble through on my own!

Cheers,

I don't know many (any!) other blacksmiths here except Neal unfortunately. Neal has given me a little forge welding help but on his propane forge which would seem to be a bit different.

Maybe Owen / Basher might be able to give me some quick coke forge welding tips during course in April if theres time.