I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I was thinkin' the same thing, Frosty.  Change the shape of the blade to compensate.  Years before I started custom furniture building for a living, an old furniture maker told me that the way to tell a good wood worker wasn't to count the mistakes he made.................it was how well he covered them up. :P

I’ve already done lots of that! It’s barely mote than 1/16” spine. Pretty sizable delam in the very center of the blade. 

im not really a bladesmith so I guess I don’t make smaller blades. It’s already Really small. Just a side project so I’m not too bummed it’s also etching weirdly. Unevenly and there’s weird lines

I’m Thinking i will break it to test the grain. 

edit. Never mind. I bent it with a pipe and could barely get it to bend and it sprung back to straight. I than hit with a hammer and proceeded to do nothing to it. I guess it had a good heat treat 

Edited by GuardedDig2
Failed break

7 hours ago, GuardedDig2 said:

I’ve already done lots of that! It’s barely mote than 1/16” spine. Pretty sizable delam in the very center of the blade. 

Look up a sloyd knife. They have like a two inch blade. Looks like there's plenty of meat left for one of those. They're good to have too. Especially if you like carving. 

Pnut

OTOH, "flawed" blades are the ones I stick a plain handle and then abuse them as a "camp knife" and see how the do---splitting wood pounding on the spine with another chunk of wood, etc.  I've noticed that they do seem to work very well and last forever and I've regretted the plain handle a couple of times.   All my perfect blades belong to somebody else; but I still have all my mistakes!

Thomas I can’t exactly just stick a handle on it and use it considering the massive crack in the very center of where the edge would end up. It’s also visible in the Spine so I’m pretty sure a whole layer didn’t weld well. that’s on what would be the cutting edge. 

D5E5BE6D-6A9D-4A06-8359-73DECEC6669C.jpeg