I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naw, not impressive enough!  It needs to be buried about 12" into the end of that stump to resemble King Arthur's sword.  Then I'd be impressed. :lol:

All kidding aside, without clearer, more detailed pictures, all I can see/say is it looks mighty nice.  Congrats.

Good GOLLY you're getting good at this quick!  Tongs are a "BIT" large maybe you can move your anvil from a distance now?  You did a nice job on them regardless. The leaf looks very nice, a little refinement developing leaf veins and those will sell like hotcakes.  What do you have in mind for that fine looking swivel shackle? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha thanks frosty! The tongs measure close to 6 inches across from the center of each jaw. The 1.5 inch round looks small haha. Accidentally made industrial tongs I suppose. The leaf could be beter but I was having a hard time holding and wanted a basic style to see the iron grain well. If I can get a better bar of iron they would make great key chains. This is in fact going on a key ring. The swivel shackle will be used if I have to rotate any heavy things in my garage or at the farm. I’m rather happy with how it came out. Especially that it all rotates free and easily 

Working on a wrought and steel hammer so I’m consolidating lots of iron  aiming for a 3.5 lb rounding hammer so I’m gonna make a billet of about 4.25 lbs. 1 lb so far. Going from horse shoes. 1045 will be used for the faces

EB0B6DBB-D2B3-4DFF-99CB-1A65CD7AFB7E.thumb.jpeg.64a00626194a103294e03e54c0302315.jpeg

also started something new. Can anyone guess what it is?

FDA136FC-129E-40CA-B819-5C3C285F691E.thumb.jpeg.30197b9153fe393cfb52e1a9d97a89c0.jpeg

Looks like a housing for a ribbon burner to me?

I’m not an expert by any means, but I would recommend higher carbon steel for the faces. They are fairly small pieces and with very low carbon in the wrought iron, due to carbon migration, there may not be much carbon left in those after several welding heats.

Just my two cents...

David