I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like I’ve got some experimenting to do. Thanks for the information everyone! 

Today I forged a drift for an axe and an axe with said drift. It’s about 2 lbs made of mild steel with a forge welded hard edge on it. Just needs a handle and it’s good to go. 

B7B2B288-0313-4A6A-A330-C296D33D47B8.jpeg

84CA5DF2-D921-476F-92D2-574E1BCC2D14.jpeg

87165742-D1CB-4B75-8E73-5E0E512ADF36.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/15/2021 at 12:03 AM, ThomasPowers said:

The adaption of farm tools as weapons is common where farmers were not allowed to have weapons.  In Europe things like the flail used for threshing wheat was used as a weapon as was the common axe.

And scythes and bill hooks... But pitch forks for their common depiction as the peasant weapon of choice, i don't think was neither an effective nor popular weapon.

In the days before antibiotics; punching a hole in someone with a dirty item was a major killer.  I think those were mainly what was to hand in necessity.  When medieval landowners were required to supply troops, the spear was a common weapon stocked for their use.  And of course the Welsh Longbow became a weapon of choice for use by English Monarchs...just look at the laws banning other activities that might cut into their practice time!

Better than nothing that's for sure. Perhaps more popular in use than I'm imagining too. Just thinking multiple bent prongs makes for a weapon that is pretty bad at penetrating even rudimentary armour while also being somewhat unwieldy. Also, I'll hope you'll forgive me just thinking out loud without much sources to back it up; although infection would be a big killer, the ability to incapacitate your opponent during the battle itself is more important, and you need a good hit with a pitchfork for that to happen. Pitchfork in the arm, shoulder or leg? Eh... probably still in the game. There should be plenty of farm tools more easily adapted into something akin to a glaive or halberd. Scythes, sickles and billhooks comes to mind.

No golf for the English! Bow only!

Also I love spears. Spears are great. 

Apologies for the rant. I just enjoy the thought exercise. 

3/8” round extruded aluminum. 6061. 

for this small stock I was using a propane torch. Since it heats so fast. Either works. I’d estimate forging temps to be around 600-700. 

you want to use a very thin piece of wood. Like a fine shaving and press the aluminum onto it.  If it begins smoking after a Second or three the aluminum is hot enough to forge. Work until it feels like it’s hardened. 

It’s like butter. Incredibly soft. Careful though. Likes to crack if your not very careful with temperatures