I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you! Still learning lots on the process!
Going to try using the power hammer on one soon 

It’s been pretty cold recently. Got down to -26 last week. Average was around -16 or so. Yesterday it was 17 and today it got to a sweltering 36 degrees. 

Handle making practice recently. Not my favorite but it’s important. Meaning I restored some vintage hammers and re hung them. And some old hammers I’ve made that got rusty and now are back to former glory. There’s the 4 I showed last and 4 ones since those first ones. Handles are all ash because I’ve realized I like it over hickory. 

8DBE4C1A-E799-44C8-B1FB-F29B76EF9591.jpeg

My question too; though I will throw in Availability? too.  Out here in southern NM there are *miles* of commercial Pecan groves and so Pecan branches are easy to source when they trim them. (Pecan and Hickory are sold as the same wood as they are closely related.)

Thanks!

I prefer it for a few reasons. It’s a little springier so it seems less prone to shattering and seems to transmit less vibration into your hand. 

Hickory is available but ash is about half the price of hickory. It’s very plentiful around here so I can also harvest myself. 

It’s a bit softer and much easier to shape in my experience. 

However,  it’s not nearly as pretty as hickory is normally I think. 

Looks like I’m going to have to forge a cats head hammer. The one I mentioned that I ordered got lost in shipping. 3 day shipping and it finally arrived after 12 days. Problem is they gave me an empty box with a sticker that says they lost the contents. :/ 

should be a fun experiment to make one at least 

I'd like to say something about free pecan wood from orchards.  Great firewood but generally should'nt be used for building anything.  As T Powers said,it's limbs.  Regardless how large a limb is,mills don't process limbs into lumber because the wood move's (twists/wraps) after being sawn.  The wood can continue moving (first one way then another) for decades so that make's it worthless for construction or even tool handles.  I say this to possibly save disappointment after fashioning something that later warps.  An exellent source of wood for short tool handles is the firewood pile providing species is suitable.  Keep an eye out for a piece split from trunk that has straight grain.  From that piece,split a smaller piece and alow to dry or dry in oven before carving handle.  That's how Hickory became popular as tool handles. Much Hickory grain is'nt straight but pieces with straight grain is easy to spot while splitting firewood.  

Haha I like that dogs head hammer 

I purchase my ash and hickory normally but I may start splitting ash for use myself. It’s abundant and there’s tons of dead straight grained ash around. 

also it’s hammer time!

F87B19C1-F6E3-4F1C-9CA0-3C834DF586A8.jpeg

I use branches all the time for top tools..  Also sometimes for handles like on this draw knife..  These are pear wood that the branch snapped off in a thunderstorm the night before I had a demo.. Made the draw knife at the demo. 

I like the fact that you can find curves and such in the wood so the handles can be straight grained but also curved.. 

Some woods are not suitable for sure.. Anything with a pith in the middle is not good.. 

20200430_162923.jpg

20200430_161647.jpg

Well unless you are going to hollow it out like on the draw knife then it doesn't matter.  

Sumac is a very pretty wood.. I'd love to try something with it. 

• 2 weeks later...