I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally the handle if possible should be straight and slide all the way in till it just about touches where the wood would go.. 

This is actually the speed control..  shorter the handle the higher the RPM's and less torque for like drilling smaller holes.. 

For larger diameter holes you move the handle further out.. This cuts down on RPM but increases torque.  

Which model do you have.. Looks a lot like a buffalo but once they got to a certain time frame they all kinda looked the same..  

I wish I had rods to help haha. Although my power hammer is nearly finished! Photos on my post in the power hammer section. I’ll link it if anyone wants. 

2-3 hours for <3 lb hammers. 4ish for >3lb 

heat treatment and grinding is another 30 minutes. Handle is another hour 

Power hammer is finished mostly. So hammered out a few things.

Some scrolling tong blanks in 4 heats. From 3/4” square stock. And some small pickup tongs that didn’t come out so well from 9” of 5/8 rebar. Each half done in about 7 heats.

It’ll Be a big learning curve to use this hammer but should work pretty good as I figure it out. 

962898B5-9C70-4AEB-89E4-C0C19BFD75E4.jpeg

661F372C-5982-4C85-B4FE-74D1B45BA16B.jpeg

24972BA3-7C3E-4FC4-8381-6D28E9D81EF5.jpeg

2056DFEB-3E4D-4CF5-B4B9-7F970AF4E40B.jpeg

That's honestly faster than I expected. With the prices I've seen on hand forged hammers it sounds like you could make a little bit of extra cash the side if that's the goal.

Looks like you make just about everything yourself! Drifts as well? I've made one fairly small axe drift, but man I thought that was enough of an effort. Looking forward to seeing how your power hammer works. It's very inspiring to watch your progress!

It’s just a hobby for now but you never know! 
Yes I make everything myself. My hammer eye drift was forged from 1.25” round 4140 using a 2.5 lb hammer haha that took a while. Power hammer should help out. But I mainly plan on using it for repetitive tasks. Not on everything I make. 

• 2 weeks later...