I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I first started out, I copied many old tools..   As I progressed on my own I started to forge my own design of top tools and bottom tools.. 

what I noticed is the fact that I started to make my tools smaller and smaller..  Top tools or any tooks that would be struck by another hammer became smaller..  the less mass they had the better they would work and easier too.   

back in 2018 I went to ABANA Virginia and Craig Trnka talked about his tools that he used for shaping shoes and the "Golden rule".    

this establishes a ratio to work end, eye size and striking end..   

Few realize that when tools were made at just before the turn of the century wrought iron was still playing out in tooling and wrought iron needed to be larger to offer the same level of work.    

When steel came into wide spread use, companies were still using die sets that were used with wrought iron.. And people were used to seeing large tools so it stuck..  

So, the reason for all this jabber is keep in mind struck tooling should only be large enough to offer durablity for a given task. 

what was found is tooling made with the "Golden  rule" applied last longer even though they might be smaller.. 

Neat really. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...