I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For ventilation I theres a big opening behind me and the blue tarp is usually off But it was up to block snow. I can also open up any side that I want for ventilation. 

I burn anthracite so not much smoke really and there is a fan I mounted at the roof to suck smoke out of the place 

I also burn anthracite (In an outdoor forge) but I still like using a chimney to get any smoke and gasses over my head. It's pretty much just an 8" stove pipe with a hole in the side that sits next to the fire. It wouldn't be adequate to suck all the gasses up if the forge was indoors, but it is a lot better than nothing.

Yep I know that. The fan is to suck any smoke out and do far I haven’t had any build up as it pretty much all goes straight out. I open it up on one side at least to deal with the other fumes. 

I will be eventually adding a hood but I cannot for the time being so I have to make do with it as is. 

2 hours ago, Chelonian said:

but it is a lot better than nothing.

You have seen my forge in the demo trailer and can see just how well it sucks the smoke, soot, cinder and ash up and out the trailer. 

In my mind there is no reason today not to use a hood/stack to evactuate as much particulate and smoke out of the shop if using a coal product.  (hard, soft for coke). 

They can be both easy to design and using a steel 5 gallon pail, some tin snips and some 8" or larger pipe is all that is needed. 

8" is plenty once it gets warm especially with a shorter stack.. 

Yes, I remember being impressed how large some of the pieces sucked up and blown out the top were. Must be a lot of air volume moved!

Also Justin, I just saw the dog's head hammer you made on the last page. I must have missed it previously. It looks very nice and clean!

Not perfect!!?:o You're FIRED, go spend an hour contemplating your utter humiliating failure by watching DumbBumb youtube videos! 

I like it, I'd be concerned with food particles trapped in the weave but I suppose if a person seasoned it like cast iron by heating it to 450+f and oiling, those icky germs should be toast. 

If you made one form 3/4" rnd. and instead of a hanging hook made that end a point to stick in the ground it'd make a yard decoration to keep solicitors walking on don the road. 

All funning aside I really do like, it's quite attractive in a rough hewn sort of way. Scare the cracklins right off a roast pig. 

Frosty The Lucky.