I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

Have you opened the jaws all the way to get a look at the threads? You got the: mounting bracket, bale wedges, straight leg and handle, Rust included for $30!  SWEET DEAL, even it it turns out to be a parts vise!

Frosty The Lucky. 

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was at least a decade where a 4ish inch postvise would sell for US$20 in central OH and they were pretty easy to find.  I used to pick one up at Q-S to take back to New Mexico as we are tool poor out here. Then the prices started rising, I remember $45 and then $75 and after that I just would TPAAAT for vises when I wanted another.

For some reason leg vises are cheap here. When all other blacksmith tools pretty much cost a lot. 75$ for a good condition 5” vise is fair here. Anything 100$+ takes months to sell. I see them a lot for 50$ and some for less. I missed it because I got there late but I saw one sell at an auction for 15$ haha. I should buy them and take them somewhere else to resell haha 

Found this and couldn’t pass for 45$. Works as it should just needs a motor. This beautiful old iron mike 3.5” capacity power hacksaw is around 62 maybe a bit fewer years old. Manufactured in grand forks North Dakota. Around an hour away from me. Just a neat little tool. 

70C3EE91-2837-4199-BE9B-C82A1F7BD3B5.jpeg

50DDBF20-57F3-4D48-AAC4-82C4173026CF.jpeg

Took 5 minutes to cut 1.5" x 1.5" x 0.25" angle iron. Not too bad for what it is and the fact it has a 32 tpi blade. It says to use a 18 tpi blade so I’m going to buy one and test it out. Regardless I love this thing it’s so cool to watch.  Hooked a 1/4 hp motor as that’s what the originals had. Pulled it off a old broken scroll saw. The pulley happened to use the same belt the hacksaw uses. And it was 2” diameter like the hacksaw recommended. So it works perfect. It was real loud but after a liberal oiling of all oil ports and the chain and all that. Including the motor it’s nearly silent. Makes noise when cutting steel of course but not too much. As long as it’s oiled well it cuts straight. Slow and steady. I’ll oil it of to. As I’ve read power hacksaws like to be practically bathing in oil (birdseed bag was to catch oil and shavings)14916011-EBBB-42A5-8798-24278C145382.thumb.jpeg.bcf1becdea75a49ed77d9be2f08c7654.jpeg