I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Justin Topp said:

Dat from perfect. Had issues cleaning them for anno but they are done.

Nicely done Justin, I love the temper colors Ti takes.

I have no idea what you means though, I don't speak cell phone text. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Wasn’t paying attention. Meant to say far from perfect. Not dat. oops and anno refers to anodizing. I’m sending these off to someone else who works with a lot of titanium to make pretty haha. He wanted them so sent me some titanium and I forged it for him. Got some extra to make more flint strikers from I think 

I bet you had fun stacking those, makes a great image. There’s a 101lbs mouse hole at a local antique mall that there asking $495 for, if I could talk them down to to $250, I may buy it. Never know, maybe I’ll end up making my own stack some day. Right now, been focused on getting the new building rolling. I haven’t done any forging in a month, maybe tomorrow.

Keep up the good work! I’ve enjoyed watching you progress, and honestly it has made me a little envious. Between work and household responsibilities, I just can’t seem to send the time at the forge the way I would like.

Enjoy,

David

Haha it was good exorcise that’s for sure. I have a 70 lb fisher on the farm I should take back home. Would make a great addition to the stack. And the little 4.5 lbs one I forged I should stick on top. Haha. 
thank you very much!

Tried some basic things out when I got my anvil mounted. Temporary for now til I build a proper stand. I made some nails to hold it by forming a taper than clamping in the vise and bending hammering at a 45 degree angle away. To form a tab to go over the lug. Surprisingly effective. Also started a small hinge for another project. Wrought iron. Decided to try forge welding the eye for once. I like it better than the normal method I usually see of kinda hammering it into a tight loop. And a square lunch to make holes for square rivers for an upcoming project. Anvil has some dirt and stuff but no more scratches than it had to start!

BC7808FE-86DA-48FD-955D-A0B264E2A2B9.jpeg

D0DA96D7-6669-4254-9340-48AB510A6C75.jpeg

A07A1E0B-D8CF-4C3D-A2D3-50E5F6DA90A2.jpeg

39FCD1B9-9513-46BE-A937-C4A7D410821D.jpeg

FC0AA03E-69CB-4511-8B60-5297BF56AA3D.jpeg

I was impressed by it; just wanted to keep the record straight---especially as people seem to go out of their way to avoid forge welding today when it was extremely common just 150+ years ago.   I blame Bessemer/Kelly!

Just a couple of thousand more and you will have the fence around the place done!

All y'all are going to make me pile up a stack of anvils!  Lets see: start with the bridge anvil then the 469# Fisher, then the 410# Trenton, then the two 165# anvils (PW&HB), then the 134# HB, then the 125# Powell, then the 112# PW, then the 91# A&H.....Naw I'll wait till I have a cherry picker or a jib crane.  I can tell this is a subtle trap to give me a heart attack during hot weather so you can get stuff at my estate sale!