I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job so far. Be careful heat treating the faceplate. Seems like it would be tricky to keep it from seperating from the body during HT. 

Pnut

I didn't realize the size of it until just now lol. I was thinking it was much larger until I noticed the Anvil under it. You HT steeled hammers pretty frequently don't you? It should be similar I would guess but it's just that, a guess. Good luck. 

Thanks again Pnut. Yea Ive done a few Steeled hammers so I can’t imagine this is Much different. I’ve also done a mild steel anvil block with a 5160 face on it. 

this one is mild steel and will get a high carbon face. I didn’t have enough iron or I would’ve used it. Oddly enough the only other blacksmith in my family was my great great grandfather. I’m sure some others did it occasionally as they all lived on farms but he was the only professional. Thank you!

My first attempt at forging an anvil is done. Not entirely pleased but overall I’m happy. Forge welded out of 7 bars with added filler rods. 4.5 lbs. mild steel body and farriers rasp for the faceplate. It’s not the prettiest anvil but it’s mine. 

0F516E2C-F17D-4ABF-A8BD-1CF49C1CE875.jpeg

Where's the not pretty anvil, I don't wee one? She's BEAUTIFUL, your great grandkids will be bragging on it to their great grandkids. 

The feet look like you could make a spike or screw down dovetail for a wood stand and just tap it in or out. Too cool, Great Grandpaw's hand forged quick change anvils!

Well done, REALLY well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha thanks frosty. That’s a good idea. I’m gonna forge something on it and I just stick a nail in each foot to hold it down but a dovetail anvil now that’s a good idea haha. 
thanks Pnut and Chris! 

Gonna use the 7 oz wrought iron hammer with it 

A9C8A5C1-DF00-4503-B97C-EF6D6DACEDA1.jpeg

I like your ball pein, she's a beauty.  I don't know how a square pein is going to effect things. I get pretty deep with the pein sometimes. Maybe you invented the Tiny turner?  You can make beautiful music with a Tiny Turner. 

Frosty The Lucky.

No more than usual. Is the "Tina Turner" reference too obscure? Turning hammer is another name for rounding hammer. If he makes one with a pointy pein and put them on display they'd be the "SpIke and Tiny Turner Revue." 

Is that more clear? You know Chris, if we have to keep explaining puns we'll have to start teasing you more. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

if we have to keep explaining puns we'll have to start teasing you more. 

I completely "got" the pun, Frosty...................just teasing because it came "out of the blue", so to speak.  You're such a hoot, I never know what you're going to come up with next.