I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys I was responding to a comment about the hinge not being perfect. I said worrying about the work not being perfect messes you up. I did NOT and have never said you shouldn't TRY for perfection. It's almost like simple clear statements are being deliberately misunderstood.  Getting this same lecture is getting tiresome.

You are a fast learner and you are figuring out a lot of the little nuances on your own..  I like that you turned the work more while putting in the fuller groove. 

Over working an area before correction is one of the mistakes more newer smiths take awhile to see..   Making the corrections earlier and often enough is key.. Eventually the corrections are needed less because they are happening as one forges vs a direct correction. 

Nice work.   Love the progress and that hammer is going to swing nicely.  commercial hammer handle or one you made? 

Thanks Les! I find forging different things helps build skill more than repetitive forging of Th e same thing. Don’t get me wrong forging the same thing helps but you get a wider set of skills when you constantly switch it up. 

I didn’t have to modify the eye other then. Thin it out a little bit. I made My drift so it fits most store bought handles if I chose to use them. 

You must have been reading my mind..  That was the suggestion I was going to make is to fit store bought handles as then for many it's an easy replacement.  There are a bunch of handles out there that can be easily modified that will fit many hands and thought processes.. 

It's even better when a person likes a skinny handle.  :) 

Thanks CGL. I’m kinda getting into the Alec Steele/Brian Brazeal style of forging it seems and this is a recommended weight. Alec Himself said good Job on Instagram so it’s not too horrible I guess haha. Anyhow this weight is pretty easy for me to swing for quite a while and I can move lots of metal with it. 

I Know another Young smith who Does it in 5 heats so I’m going to try and beat him haha. 
Ive been doing a lot of tools and hammers lately so I’ve been using my hammer making hammer! The 4.75 lb rounder that I forged a while back. My first forged rounding hammer. So this is actually lighter. Although for most work like the hinge, shackles, hooks and so on I use a 2.5 cross peen or a 2.5 rounding hammer or a 3 cross peen for bigger work. 

As a side note some more testing with the hammer and I tried something new. Spike hooks. Not super happy but they work. Going to go in a horse barn at a friends farm for tying rope to. Also made a small j hook and a nail. My best nail yet. Made the nail in 1 heat too!

5C211BB7-6ABF-488E-B5E8-DC4247E5889D.jpeg

Various reasons mean I can’t go forge for a couple days. Such as online school and 7 inches of snow in 6 hours. It was 60 yesterday and it’s 15 degrees now .... so I’ve decided to stock up on hammer handles. I’m making 25 plain gently tapered hickory handles for hammers. Here are the first two. Slight taper to the eye but not much as I want to leave wood for when I go to hang the hammers. Domed the butts of the handles as well

ED8BCBCD-7144-46D8-9FB5-774C15DEE4DC.jpeg