I Forge Iron

Justin’s Smithing progression. [PIC heavy]

Justin Topp

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much. I used to play video games but now I can’t stand them. I get bored quickly. It’s just not rewarding to me like making things is. So I do this instead. I’m working to improve And I feel I’m getting better. Something about this hobby I enjoy a lot is making things for people. I have given away almost all the non tools I’ve made. Only really keep blacksmithing and wood working tools. 

Are the cottonwoods active up your way?  There's white stuff all around in that picture.   

When the cottonwoods are producing cotton you have to be careful about sparks.  I've seen a floor "burn off" from a stray ignition point.  Amusing in a "fireproof" shop. NOT amusing in one with lots of combustibles!

Cotton woods are as naked as can be right now haha. All the snow means it’s the least flammable time of year  for the most part. I like taking a bunch of cat tail fluff in the fall and spreading it out. It’s great fun to watch it burn. 

thank you Frosty! And yes it’s very fun. Also a Very rewarding hobby. 

great news. I might be getting a car port to put my stuff under and be more protected from the elements. To start it will just be canvas but I will be putting siding up over the summer so I will have a real shop and be protected from rain and snow. Hopefully it all goes to plan. It is 10’ x 17’ 

10'x17' is a good size to start out with. The forging triangle: forge--anvil--post vise should not be very large---unless you are working large items! and the extra room is great for storage and a work bench for "finishing".

The 17' is a bit short for storing 20' sticks of steel; but I generally cut; or have them cut, to 10' long at the steel distributor or scrapyard anyway.

My current space is a 15x15 patio that I use only a small bit of so I would have more room in the shop than I use currently. Although slightly less total area that’s not a concern for me. If I get it I’ll do some planning and figure out what I like. I’ll probably have my anvil in the center more or less so I can do all the different things I need to.  Shouldn’t the triangle be roughly so you can get to all three without more than a few steps. Preferably a step or without walking?

I buy my steel in 24’ lengths I think but they cut it free so I get 12’ sticks. I won’t likely store a ton of steel in the shop because I have a separate area I store in right now. Although I might build a rack on the out side of the Area to hold my steel more conveniently. 

The exact size of the triangle depends on YOU and what you are doing---it's unpleasant to set your coat on fire because your back is in the dragon's breath of a propane forge for instance.    Since you are already set up on the patio, give some thought on what changes would make your work easier.  For me I use my forge and anvil much more than the postvises and so the forge and anvil are closer.

Thanks. I suppose your right that there’s no one “size” fits all. The vice will likely be further away because I do mostly stuff at the anvil like hammers where I don’t really need a vise all the time. 

as for the forge I burn coal so I was planning on for now just having the forge right outside the building and taking it in and eventually a side draft hood. 

I work from left to right. Forge, anvil then vice. About a step from forge to anvil then maybe a step and a half to the vice. But I agree, whatever is comfortable for you. I also work with the horn oriented to the right. It seems like most work with it to the left. Of course, I move to wherever I need to. The great things is, the rules are what you make. 

That is the setup I like best too. Forge. Anvil than vise.  Horn facing right.  But I too walk around the anvil if I need to. I’ll have to get it all dialed in if i end getting the carport. I would like to use bricks for the flooring. Unless there’s a big reason not to? 

I’m away from the forge for a few days so I decided what better to do than make some wedges. Black walnut wedges for my future hammers. Here is about 1/3 of the blanks I’ve got Cut out. Will grind the rest as I need them sorry for the low quality picture 

FB4999CC-47F8-4289-8429-93326349F844.jpeg

No picture yet but tong blanks forged up. Just need a rivet and reigns scarfed on. I used a walnut wedge posted earlier and it worked wonderful. Also made an anvil hold down chain to assist with certain things I cut the slot crooked so it’s not centered but who cares. Works the same 

B723324D-04A9-4F11-ADD4-596D1478A20F.jpeg

9EDCA916-737D-49FC-9F8D-894EB48A7877.jpeg