I Forge Iron

Splicing grinder belts

JHCC

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thought just jumped in my head while cleaning the work bench, actually I wasn't cleaning but looking for something else.:)

I ran across an old 600 grit belt that was worn out. I got to looking at it and thought this may work for the splice. Cut a section and glue the abrasive side to the new belt with the smooth side out.

Very interesting idea. The only issue I can see with that is the possibility that the glue holding the abrasive might not have sufficient shear strength to resist the tension on the belt.

That does get me wondering, though, what kind of glue is used to hold the grit to the belt and might that be removable through chemical or mechanical means. I've got a couple of worn-out belts to experiment on, so we'll see how that goes. More to play with....

24 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

actually I wasn't cleaning but looking for something else.

There's a difference?

Fellow Citizens,

I did a quick look through this thread, and did not see the suggestion that I will describe presently.

My idea would require a suitable backing patch underneath the area of the joined belt ends. Use a suitable adhesive. You seem to be happy with Gorilla glue.

Now sew the join , and maybe, also, both ends of the patch.

Try using a strong thread like koban. And make sure the threading is taut enough to lie between under the particles of abrasive.

The threading may be further protected by coating it with dilute epoxy resin or nail polish.

Hopefully this glue and sew procedure will be satisfactory.

Sinceriously,

SLAG.

Sewing would be a pretty tough undertaking, especially for the heavier belts, and I would be worried about the punctures acting as places where a tear could start. If we have a sufficiently tough patch anyway, I'm not sure what additional benefit the sewing would bring.

JHCC,

Sewing would tend to lessen the shear forces on the sleeve that is glued to join the abrasive belt ends.

I seem to remember, a long time ago,  seeing industrial belts having stitches. Some had steel staples to do the same job.

Sewing thicker belts is analogous to sewing leather. Hole can be punched or drilled prior to sewing. A drill press would speed up the procedure.

The holes can be reinforced with a coating such as nail polis. In order that they are not become the starting point of a tear.

My suggestion was a long shot. But it may worth a try,   if no other method works satisfactorily. 

Regards,

SLAG.

The first 36 grit belt spliced with a Kevlar patch and Gorilla Glue survived its initial test — which is to say, it didn’t explode when I ground the mushrooming of the struck end of a splitting wedge. I’ll report back after I’ve seen how durable it is in the long run; the goal is for the splice to last longer than the grit. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just ran across an interesting video about splicing grinder belts. The maker has what looks like a decent method for using the cloth of the belt for the splice; take a look:

Note: there's no narration, so you can skip the cheesy background music by muting the sound. Doubling the playback speed is also recommended, as you won't be missing any important detail.