I Forge Iron

Help! I need some help with a used air compressor

The yellow stuff was water and oil mixed together. This is normal.

A picture would help on the pipe connection issue - can't comment further other than to say they may have had some special purpose for it. Copper is fine - a rubber hose is not correct.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the ones on display - that should help you picture the repair in your mind.

Ok, thanks for the info, I appreciate it a lot.
I’ll try and post a pic.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7359&stc=1&d=1216941191

The orange hose is one of the ones that burst.

I don’t wont to ask to many questions, but I have another one. do you think the $250 I paid for it was to much? It’s a devilbiss 6.5Hp, 60gal, 1 stage(at the time of purchase I thought it was 2 stage)

thanks again, Mike Willman

7359.attach

That line should be hard plumbed. Nothing on the head of a compressor should be soft line. You may just want to buy the factory replacement rather than fool around with trying to make it.

I think you got a good deal if you can get it to work. It's probably a $400 or more machine.

make sure where it goes into tank there is a check valve , otherwise it will leak out of the compressor head when not running , and some check valves you can buy via grainger industrial if they still carry them have a built in blow off for easy starting
or your pressure switch may have a pressure relief

what this does is downloads the residual pressure in the compressore head for easier starting
i notice the motor is a duel capacitor so it is a single phase unit , i reccomend if possible to wire 220 volts for less amperes means less money out of pocket in electricity

now whats your plans to have a pneumatic hammer to forge with?

Hay thanks for the tip about the check valve. I think the pressure switch might already have the blow off thing, when I turn it off it depresses a valve that releases air from the pump by a pipe. Is that the blow off?

I picked up some stuff at lows and I think I got everything I need to wire it in.

As for the air hammer I think I

Ok, I'll see if i can get the replacement part. Thanks for helping a kid out with his first compressor.:)

I was also a kid once - with his first air compressor. We all have to start somewhere and we should never finish learning and sharing with one another until that day when we lay our heads down for the last time...

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used copper and yeah it’s worked fine for nearly a year now. used it to sandblast a 15 passenger van’s roof and then paint it.

On a side note the guy ended up giving me $100 back when he found out it didn’t work, so I actually got it for $150 but I spent something like $40 getting it running.

Mike W.

Hate to break it to you, but........... it's not just the pipe from the compressor you're missing. There should be a after-cooler before it goes into the tank. Take another look at the ones in the store. Looks like a finned pipe and sits next to the fan blades on the flywheel. It is a "MUST HAVE"!

Well I'll be. Yeah my little Huskies just have a zigzag tube from the LP cylinder to the HP cylinder, then right into the tank from the HP cylinder. Single stage compressors have higher temp output though and usually have a more elaborate cooler. You saw that when you burned up that hose.

That the yellow stuff (emulsified oil and water) does,nt come out of my compresser and if it did I would be concerned that the rings where worn out.

And if they were, the efficentcy would be bad, the electic motor may get to hot and damage itself because of extended use to get it up to preasure. I don,t know what you use it for, but I wouldn,t load it up to much.

• 2 weeks later...