I Forge Iron

Bull Pin Hammer Drift?

Thinking of making a hammer drift from a 1-1/16" x 15" bull pin. Seems like a remember reading somewhere that Mark Aspery mentioned this in his book. I don't have his book so I cannot confirm this. I would just forge it flat on two sides . Seems like it would be a quick way to make a hammer drift. Here is what I am thinking of using. would 1- 1/16" be a good size? Would these have too much taper to work well though? Thanks.

s-l1600.jpg

Start the other way: What size handle do you want to  fit in the hole it makes; then will that drift be forgeable to make that size?  If you are using it as a drift and not as a punch you may want to trim it shorter so you don't need as much space under your bolster plate.

I like my drifts to result in standard sized hammer handles available to me to fit with minimal time spend modifying them.

All my hammers have handles in them but i could get a general idea of the size. I do not generally buy handles, and just make my own from ash that I have harvested and cut into blanks. But making it so a store bought handle fits might be the best idea anyways.

What kind of taper per inch should I be looking at to achieve the right taper?

Thanks again,

Dave

Ok, he doesn't mention using bull pins (unles I missed it elsewhere), but mentions using tool steel, structural or mild steel. The example of a hammer eye drift he illustrates in the book is for a monkey tool. He says he has hammer eye drifts made from 5/8" round up to 1 1/8" round in 1/8" increments and a single tool that is 16" or so long of 1 1/8" tapering down to 3/8" round and then made oval (hammer eye) in section that he uses to put the hourglass shape in his hammers. I can try to look up other things if you need me to. Since I don't know first hand, I'm just giving you what I'm reading. 

Thanks for checking that. I might try using the one I posted. It might be a quick way to make one. All one would have to do is just flatten it to create the correct profile. I think it was $18, and would save me a bit of work since I do not have a power hammer or press.

Good Morning,

You start the Handle Hole with a slitting punch. If you want to ensure you are on center, I drill 3 - 1/4" holes, 3/8" apart. This gives you control on your initial punching. Yes, you can also do it without the pilot holes, but if you are teaching a Class, it takes a lot less time to punch with pilot hole rather than trying to correct an off-center Handle Hole. Been there done that, seen the movie, lived the movie.

A Bull Pin will work, you will need to cut off a lot of the small end. When you are Drifting the hole, you will still need to give the small end a Whack of lovin', to spring it free from being stuck in the Hole. Sometimes Punch Lube helps, sometimes coal dust helps, sometimes Pixie Dust helps.

Neil

Maybe Aspery did not put it in his book, but just shows it in classes? Not sure.

Cutting it shorter would not be a problem. Maybe I could use the cut off as a round punch. I probably would just drill two holes like Black Bear Forge showed in one of his videos. I know that is probably cheating, but it would make it easier with a one man show. He showed drilling two 3/8" holes at the outer edge and then using a flat punch sized to just push out the center bit of steel . Seemed pretty efficient.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, CrazyGoatLady said:

Ok, he doesn't mention using bull pins (unles I missed it elsewhere), but mentions using tool steel, structural or mild steel. The example of a hammer eye drift he illustrates in the book is for a monkey tool. He says he has hammer eye drifts made from 5/8" round up to 1 1/8" round in 1/8" increments and a single tool that is 16" or so long of 1 1/8" tapering down to 3/8" round and then made oval (hammer eye) in section that he uses to put the hourglass shape in his hammers. I can try to look up other things if you need me to. Since I don't know first hand, I'm just giving you what I'm reading. 

That sounds pretty close to the same dimensions of the bull pin I ordered. It is 15" long 1-1/16" tapered to 3/8". I did a clay model, made the pin to the same dimensions, minus 2" shorter on the handle since that was all the clay I had, and then "forged" to flat on two sides, shortened the tip, and looks like I should end up with a drift that could make a max hole of about 1-3/8" x 7/8" capsule shaped. That seems like it should work.

drift1.thumb.jpg.a836d71e27617af67db71f1a0e10d11d.jpgdrift2.thumb.jpg.90a03cb711b83c7c0ead36df10ff2446.jpg

Mark Aspery does talk about using a bull pin for a hammer eye drift in his second book on leafwork. He just flattens it down to an oval shape, no specific thickness mentioned. Probably just a nice even taper the whole length. You weren't dreaming.

Steve