I Forge Iron

Yes, that's how I understand it. I haven't made a punched eye axe but have had lengthy discussions about it with people that have. I was of the understanding that you punch it like a hammer from both sides. Jlpservices and a few others will probably be able to tell you how they do it. I haven't actually punched an eye in an axe so I'm just relating what was told to me by a local fireman who is also a smith and makes axes this way so take it for what it's worth which may not be much since it's not from experience. I've only tried making wrapped eye hawks. 

Pnut

Edited by pnut

2 hours ago, MilwaukeeJon said:

drift from both directions to create an hourglass shaped inner profile

That's the way I've always done it for axes that use wedges to keep the head in place, and how I learned from (4) different smithing teachers.  Viking style hand axes and hawks that I've made just use tapered handles and the eyes are set with a final drifting using the tapered mandrel from the top.

Only type of axe that I have seen with one continuous taper is the tomahawk for slip fit handle. All other axes have an hour glass shape. If not hour glass shaped you would have a heck of a time keeping a wedged handle tight. The two apposing tapers wedge the handle in keeping it tight.

Good Morning,

Punched and Bored mean the same thing, more displacement. More displacement means more Torque for when you are Drifting. Controlled Drifting is an absolute stunning feeling, especially when you have another car beside you. It is like a Waltz, but the music is the Tires screeching and the noise of perky Engines. Sorry, couldn't leave it alone.

You need a taper in your head (axe head, hammer head, knuckle head) to stop the head from leaving the end of your stick (some call that being handled). You must punch and drift from both directions to maintain a fairly straight work-piece. It depends on whether you are dressing the cheeks of the hole, to gain more height in the support of the hole. It is up to the Blacksmith that is working on the head, to decide whether it will be an hour-glass shape or an almost hour-glass shape. Either way will create a safe head that can be handled. Not talking about the person, but, the previous rock product.

Neil