I Forge Iron

A Noob (as my kids say) from Southeast MN

naterkc

35 minutes ago, naterkc said:

...  I mostly turn good iron into useless scrap, but I keep trying.  

Welcome, Mr. Naterkc,

You have just started in i.f.i., but we already much in common.

We both are vigorously building our piles of scrap. But, repetition is an invaluable step on the road to success.

Keep hammering.

Regards,

SLAG.

Welcome aboard Naterkc, glad to have you. How long have you been converting iron to black oxide and how's your progression on a scale of 1-10? 

Have you hooked up with the local club, ABANA affiliate, etc? You'll learn more in an hour or two with an experienced smith than many times the time figuring it out yourself. Seriously, I'm mostly self taught I know, I learned more in minutes when I first got a chance to just watch a smith than I had in I don't know how long. Having someone to tell you what you're doing wrong is invaluable. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I am taking a class in April when (hopefully) it warms up around here.  I have been looking for clubs or groups etc somewhere around the Lacrosse, Wisconsin -Winona Minnesota area.  Otherwise there is the Guild of Metalsmiths which seems centered around the Twin Cities or Central Minnesota Blacksmiths which is around St. Cloud, but those involve a several hours of driving for me to get to.  

I know it's not that close but northhouse school has a course in making blacksmiths tools. You might want to check into it. Sounds like a good way to get your basic tooling while learning some primary smithing techniques. I wish I could take a class like that. 

Pnut