I Forge Iron

My first forged knife

Chris C

Those are some great stories. I do have a couple of small burls that where freshly cut about 2 weeks ago, still got way to much time until they dry out :huh:. I love that curly maple! Great contrast and absolutely stunning. I’m partial to red maple burl myself, which conviently is some of the burl that is drying in the shop.

Unfortunately, I seldom get burls. This one was a freak.  That's why I'm holding it" close to the vest".  ;)  Most of my friends are wood turners, so any time burls become available, I'm the last to hear about them.  <_<

On 1/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, Chris C said:

sfeile, I didn't know if by mentioning "balance", you meant balance in design or weight.

Weight mainly. For example this kitchen knife. Notice how it is balanced on my finger. For many chefs and even home cooks, a pinch grip at the ricasso area is quite common. Having to heavy of a forward balance, it makes the blade harder to control. Too heavy in the rear, and you lose cutting weight and have to work harder.

20181130_212517.thumb.jpg.7a3932170c0263120c2ae9d2f016e47b.jpg

Of course your balance point will vary with intended use. A chopping knife like a cleaver or heavy use camp knife, you want a forward weight to assist the chopping. A small paring knife or carving knife, you want the weight to the rear to assist with control.