I Forge Iron

Need help with my homemade forge

Kmckenzie

Hello all I'm recently getting into bladesmithing and made my own forge out of some sheet metal and fire bricks and welded it all together and made a venturi burner I saw online fueled off of a 100lb propane tank. I'm having issues with the burner it burns a nice blue flame outside the forge but when I put it inside the blue flame goes and and it almost snuffs out I tried closing up the back end which helped it retain the blue flame but then it was sputtering really bad. I've heard it might be airflow issues but not sure how to fix it but also I do not have a regulator on the hose not sure if that could be the issue? 

Welcome aboard, I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.   READ THIS FIRST   It will help you get the best out of the forum.

Not having a regulator is more than likely causing the issue, I don't remember the exact pressure propane tanks put out but it's over 100psi. A 0-20 or 0-30 regulator is what most folks use (not a low pressure BBQ regulator). Pictures of your forge & burner will really help figuring out the problem. Without knowing about your burner who's plan or video it's all guess work and some of the burners out there are down right dangerous.

Ok thanks for the info I'm uploading two pictures first is my forge with the old burner i had on it right now its cut off so has an open hole where the new burner will go the back side so open just like the front second pic is my venturi burner I cant remember who's video it was but it was a tutorial video on you tube it's made out of steel threaded pipe and couplers and reducers the jet is off of the tiger torch I had originally bought for the forge just with the bell cut off 

20200103_145643.jpg

FB_IMG_1579287144906.jpg

Well, this appears to be a "good news, bad news" type of situation.  The bad news is that if you want a hot, fuel efficient, well functioning forge you are going to have to scrap most of what you have put together so far and start with some proven plans.  The two biggest issues are the hard split firebrick and the burner.  The fire brick can withstand the temperature (probably), but it is a huge heat sink and not very insulating.  This means it's much harder to get a forge up to temperature and keep it hot than it would be with more appropriate materials.  The flame from your burner in the picture is way off.  For forging we want a fairly short, bushy type of flame that is a medium blue color.  Yours is tending towards blue-green (extremely fuel rich) and the combustion is still happening a couple feet away from the end of your burner.

The good news is that we can get you on track, but it will take a bit of reading and the sticking with one known design that works down to the small details.  I recommend you read through the Forges 101 and Burners 101 threads.  They are lengthy, but answer nearly every question anyone has had about propane forges and burners.  Once you have a handle on what makes a good forge and a good burner and the terminology used we can help you get fine tuned with something that will serve you well for years to come.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/47439-forges-101/

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/46536-burners-101/

I agree with Buzzkill, while you are waiting for the experts in burner design & construction to weigh in and reading the two pinned threads, I suggest this one to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST   You never know there may be members who are close to you to give advice, but we need to know where in the world you are located. From what I can tell from the picture of the burner running, it is dangerous for sure. It is putting out a lot of CO running so rich. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is deadly and nothing to scoff at, another good read.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/62131-co-is-a-killer-but-co2-is-as-well/

Ok that's good to know Haha well not irreversible what would be a better material to use in replace if bricks? I've seen some using a type of wool and a some kind of hardened paste...also would a proper regular better control the richness of the flame? As of now its straight off the tank which makes sense why it's so fuel rich