I Forge Iron

100 animal heads

#6-#11 are freehand embeleshments on the handles of my scrolling forks. Got to try out the new rock chisel fuller from above for the wings and wizards beards. Im liking it's marks so I don't think I will change the head, yet. I do need to shorten the handle on the fuller though, I was striking the tool around bicep height. Much too high. Also need to figure out a better way to do mustaches, it didn't come out as well as I thought it wouldIMG_20200220_173424891.thumb.jpg.2a753ccc961e8a805932c86c9a9c45b4.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I really liking the totem pole idea too, the idea came from the first owl I did. After i had it finished I kept seeing the negative space between the wings as a hat and the owls feet as eyebrows, so I figured I'd try a wizard. 

I've only been loosely introduced to the fabulous furry freak Bros. My dad had a book with most of the Fat Freddy's Cat comics, they were hilarious. Maybe that influenced me subconsciously

Decided to make the bird head into a eye punch. It had a bit of a fish mouth, so I used it to "center" the drill bit as I drilled the pupil, then ground down to flat and shaped the sides. Added a pyrocantha stick for a handle as I'm just holding it instead of swinging it, and did a quick test.

IMG_20200301_121717986~2.jpg

Darn, I shoulda left the thorns on. Oh well, at least this way my hand won't burn every time I pick up the tool. Pyracantha litteraly translates to fire(pyr) thorn(akantha) in Greek, and it is aptly named. After getting stuck by it the wound aches for a couple hours with an almost burning feeling, I know from personal experience. Makes an excellent hedge though, no one tries to get through it, especially if there are blackberries growing in it. I figured a handle for a smithing tool from a plant with fire in it's name would be appropriate.

Now that you mention it, Locust would make good handles. I have a few nice pieces in the firewood pile a can pull aside to try. I wonder if the yellow color in the middle of the pieces will stay after it's worked into a handle.

Thanks Joe. I appreciate the encouragement. All I can say about starting animal heads is to just jump right in. Next time your at the forge grab a random scrap piece and play with your tools to see what marks you like. Hole punches make nice crisp circles, ball punches make smooth indents, slitters or hot cuts make crisp lines while Fuller's make smooth lines. Don't be afraid to use a tool for something it wasn't initially made for. The eye punch I made looks suspiciously like a hammer drift made by others on the site, so on my next handled tool I'm going to try it out as a drift. It may work, it may not, but I've learned that you can't be afraid of failure if you want to succeed. I learn more from things not going how I want them to than I do from getting it right the first time. I get more satisfaction from doing it right the first time, but I can't get it right until I've gotten it wrong a few times.

• 2 weeks later...