I Forge Iron

I've been shut down

pnut

• 4 weeks later...

I just talked with the landlady and she gave me the ok to have a gas forge so long as I can bring it back inside when I'm done. Quick question. Approximately how long does a gas forge take to cool down enough to move it to safely. I'm planning on getting a diamondback series three one or two burner forge. 

Pnut

I don't really know. With the colder weather, I would think it would cool off a lot faster though. We were planning on building me a new forge and we still will. But we came into a little extra unexpected cash and hardly any time with getting ready for spring on the farm, I've got a diamondback 2 burner coming. Should be shipped today

With my gasser mounted on an ex gas grill cart, I've moved it quite hot at times; of course this was into spaces where I didn't worry about ignition.  Latest was I got several folks to help and loaded it hot on my pickup and drove it 6 miles to the shop from the demo---it was nice and cool to unload.

Having front and back doors that open can be a bit speed up for cooling, especially if there is a breeze you can orient for flow through.

Using firebrick for a front door I have a heavy duty steel wire milk crate and use my "hot brick tongs" to separate the bricks so they cool faster and then load them in the crate pretty much the last item to be packed, too hot to touch; but they haven't melted the crate into the bed liner yet.

• 2 months later...

I use a forced air burner in my forge- so something I do to help cool things down is leave my blower running on for a bit after shutting down the gas.

I've tried it both ways, blower and no blower... and it seems to cool the inside of the forge down in around ten? or so minutes? Around twenty or so without the blower on .

The fire brick I use for a floor right now will still be a deep reddish, but the forge itself will be mostly cool.

Fortunately, I've been able to reassemble a solid fuel forge right in the backyard with the caveat I can put the actual forge in my SUV when done. I have a SS prep table I got from a restaurant to sit the forge on. Since I didn't have to spend any money on a forge I bought one of those 66 pound cast Steel eBay anvils which I also have to keep in my vehicle. I work outside so I'll have to put my MarkIII jabod, buffalo blower and anvil in my vehicle when done. I don't want anyone to steal the blower or anvil and it might just be too big of a temptation for the local tweakers if it's just sitting outside as I'm sure they look at eBay and seeing those prices might think they've hit the jackpot. I've had my scrap pile stolen twice. I'm just happy to have a hardy hole a horn and be able to blacksmith again :-). Next acquisition is a post vise when I run across a good enough deal. 

Pnut

I'm not so worried about anyone getting into my car. It's on camera and I have everything in one even layer that I cover with carpet. Where my table and random things I leave outside is behind a shed where the camera can't see. I have an alarm on my vehicle and usually wake up at about two AM every morning. I just don't want to leave anything of obvious value sitting outside. 

Pnut

How about, "No Trespassing! The guard pigs will leave you squealing from the feeling." 

Videos often depend on the police. All too often nothing gets done even with clear full face videos of perps committing. 

Frosty The Lucky.