I Forge Iron

Schlegel EMF-150 bench vice

caotropheus

I just bought from a local antique dealer what looks like a Schlegel EMF-150  bench vice. I hope the 70 USD I payed were not too much. The overall aspect and jaws of the vice are OK but the threads are shot and need repair. It opens and closes but every half a turn or so it "turns empty" as if the male and female threads disengage. Later on, I will show pictures or video of the repair.  The ruler is 40 cm long, the jaws are 150 mm wide and the vice weighs 43 kg.

OJNvTdF.jpg

BOmAyuZ.jpg

Uqp6Xbm.jpg

mcapV7Z.jpg

T0f2XCo.jpg

O5D86KW.jpg

After oiling, the vice works very nice and smooth, the ways are really nice and there is no wiggling of the movable jaw. I inspected the threads, still work, even though there is some wear/abrasion

d2RpVCl.jpg?1

I think I can replace the threads if needed.

So, where is the problem of the vice? Well people, take a look by yourselves.

KuggGny.jpg

the piece of paper is locked between the handle and the collar

somebody disregarded vice maintenance and throughout the years the collar wear to the extent that the handle would push against it upon screwing. So much so that handle wear off bolts' head securing the collar and a bit of the collar it self. You can hardly see the silhouette of the bolts. Luckily, collar + bolts were made of a softer material than the screw/handle.

v4gRr1h.jpg

2qdAOFU.jpg

The vice's screw head is half loose with a gap of 15 mm to the collar upon unscrewing

Y3TEeYp.jpg

Now, let's have some fun repairing it...

• 2 weeks later...

The vice works fine now after replacing the collar. The "original" collar is 5 mm thick with the inner opening of 54 mm. I replaced it with  a collar made from mild steel flat stock, 10 mm thick, 45 mm inner opening. Now the screw is in place, everything is tight and snug and the moveable jaw moves very smoothly and "precise". There is no wiggling what so ever.

udzWrTG.jpg

amjNoUr.jpg

To remove the old collar I had to grind away the remaining old bolts' heads and it come off right away. The bolts were not tight and unscrew easily with hand pliers.

I mounted the vice to this height adjustable pedestal

WXDCws3.jpg

So I had to adapt the mounting plate I used for the previous vice.

eEdXLFk.jpg

EHpVsvl.jpg

et voilá

Sg6XY8o.jpg?1

Now that I look at it, the vice is really massive!

Edited by Mod30
Resize large photos.