I Forge Iron

Copper with sweat joints for propane to forge

RToons

I am building a new 3 torch forge after a year+ of playing around and  spending a lot of cash. I ended up with Frosty's T-burner single torch forge using black pipe, floor flange and bell's. It works good but I want better.

I have been thinking about the propane delivery system to use and today it entered my decision to use 1/4" or 1/2" copper pipe with copper elbows and needed parts sweated together. I searched to find if copper was a valid material to use and it appears it is a good material and legal in PA to use for a propane delivery run. They use it for the whole house propane tanks mounted outside of home because copper can go around bends very easy and the cost is quite less.

The only issue I found was connecting copper to other materials can cause issue with corrosion. This is NOT and issue because copper will only be used for the delivery of the propane. The mig tip is copper that will feed propane into a 1 x 1 1/2 cast iron bell threaded into 1" inch x 6" pipe connected to a 1" x 1/2 bell that will be inserted into forge. I have done quite a bit of home plumbing sweating copper together so I see no issue with BAD sweats.

I am posting this concept to get feed back from experienced forgers to see if I am heading down a dark path of a less expensive propane delivery system. Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated. 

Thank you for that positive feedback. It gives me hope to save a lot of cash on thick heavy prefab copper, black pipe or galvanized materials! 

I was warned by administration to NOT use all caps. My error if anyone is offended. In business the subject is always all caps and I did this out of habit.  I attempted to change but cannot find a way to modify the subject. 

AmeriGas in my area that supplies External Propane tanks for backup to our ALL electric homes indicated they would recommend flexible copper to run line from tank to inside home. I do not know where you live or type of installations you have done but PA law accepts copper as a gas supply line. If underground then copper is NOT recommended but above ground service is approved.

In any case do you have any constructive thoughts about use of copper to feed a forge?

Copper is acceptable for propane in International Fuel Gas Code.  The "sweat" joints are required to be constructed with an alloy with a higher melt temperature than 1000°F.  This rules out low temperature solders typically used for home plumbing.   

I construct my forge fuel lines with mainly silver brazed 1/4" soft copper lines and brass fittings.  Inexpensive, functional, minimal, it looks good.

Silver braze alloys cost a lot more, per ounce, than solder alloys. But most people don't happen to have one of those  better solder alloys setting around the shop. When you have to buy a full pound roll of the better solder alloys, they actually coast more than a few inches of silver brave wire to complete plumbing a forge...